Monday, February 17, 2014

Braised Chinese Mustard Green with Roast Pork, Mushrooms and Dried Scallops




I disliked Chinese mustard green (Gai Choy, 芥菜) for its bitterness when I was a boy and avoided it at all cost. The dislike slowly turned into acceptance as I grew up and now I am a big fan of the vegetable especially when the stems are slowly braised until soft with roast pork belly and dried mushrooms.

I cooked this dish during Chinese New Year but had no plan to post the recipe on my blog, thinking that this was such an easy dish. But a follower requested this after seeing the picture on Instagram and so, here it goes...

Ingredients

2 heads Chinese Mustard Green (Cut stem into big chunks, washed)
2 thick slices of roast pork belly (Cut into bite size)
8-10 dried mushrooms (stem removed, soaked and softened in hot water)
100g dried scallops and/or dried shrimps (soaked and softened in hot water)
10 cloves garlic (peeled)
Cooking Oil

Seasoning Mixture
2 tbsp Oyster sauce
1 tbsp Chinese wine
2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup hot water

Method

Heat cooking oil and deep-fry garlic cloves until golden brown. Remove and put aside.

Heat up a wok and add 2 tbsp of the oil used for frying the garlic. Stir-fry the soaked dried scallops and/or dried shrimps for 1-2 minutes until the fragrance is released.

Add roast pork and mushrooms and fry for another 1-2 minutes.

Add fried garlic cloves and the mustard green. Mix well all the ingredients and fry for a minute. Add the seasoning mixture and toss well. Bring the braising liquid to a boil. 

Lower the heat and cover the wok. Braise vegetable for 30-45 minutes until preferred softness. Serve hot.

** This is an ideal dish to cook using the thermal pot (I use Tiger magic thermal cooker). Just transfer the vegetable and braising liquid from the wok to the inner pot. Bring to boil for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to insulated outer pot, close lid and let it cook with the retained heat until ready.





















19 comments:

  1. Yummmm!!!! I love that with duck...or fish too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duck yes... but I have not tried fish before. Nice?

      Delete
  2. Alvin, I've got to try this! Must be very flavourful with the roast pork and scallops. I love gai choy simply fried with garlic and salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Phong Hong, one of my favourite vegetable dishes.

      Delete
  3. I never used to like this vegetable when I was younger too, due to its bitter taste. Strange how our tastebuds change as we grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my kids also don't like mustard green, but I like everything in this dish, super yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sis! I guess all kids are the same and I had gone through that stage too.

      Delete
  5. Very appetising dish to go with a bowl of porridge or rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of dried scallops before--thanks for introducing me to something new, Chef!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! It is quite a common ingredient in Chinese cooking. You can get it at your local Chinatown.

      Delete
  7. I don't know my pickled vegetables so don't know which ones to buy as there are so many different types, and some dry, some preserved in liquid. This looks yummy especially with porridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fern! This is fresh mustard green not pickled. Haha.

      Delete
    2. Oh it looks pickled! Looks like I really don't know my mustard greens!

      Delete
  8. I've tried a bit similar version of this dish before but with spareribs . I think using roast pork is much better . At last , I've tried your char siu recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! How is it? I am making some changes to the Char Siew recipe and experimenting with different cuts today! Stay tuned!

      Delete
  9. It looks really mouth-watering! And the way you took those amazing pictures just adds to its charm! I would definitely try this myself in my next visit to the grocer. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

    Robert @ Empress Harbor

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...