Thursday, December 19, 2013

Dark Rum Caramel Sauce





Homemade gifts for Christmas are great. They are full of personality and love and you just could not get them anywhere else.

Last year, I made boxes of Nama Chocolate for my pals in the office as Christmas gifts and they loved it. This year, I decided to continue with the practice but instead of chocolate, I made this sweet, creamy and flavourful caramel sauce. Vanilla pod or extract is usually added to make caramel sauce but I chose to use dark rum for the extra flavour and kick.

Oh this is so so finger licking yummy. I could not stop licking my finger while wiping off the extras from the bottles when I was packing them. I think I'm officially a dark rum caramel sauce addict.

The sauce is very versatile. You can use it as a dip for your fresh apple slices, pour it over ice cream or your favourite dessert, use it to cook your apples for tarts or pies. Or just like me, eat it with a spoon or finger!

Ingredients (Yields six 200ml jars)

700g brown sugar
1 block unsalted butter (225 grams)
500ml heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp dark rum

Method

Cut butter into 5-6 smaller blocks.

Mix the brown sugar, heavy cream, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook while whisking gently until sugar and butter melt to form a thick golden mixture, about 10 minutes.

Add rum and cook for another minute.

Turn off heat and let it cool before pouring into containers.

Keep refrigerated to last longer.










20 comments:

  1. You have my mailing address? Wink! Wink! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arthur! The caramel must be consumed within 3 days or it has to be in the fridge. ;P

      Delete
  2. Hi Alvin
    Aah....never waste a drop of this sauce...so did you lick the whole saucepan up....hehehhee....lol. wow, with this ingredient it only yields 6 bottles and seeing your pic here you must have made 2-3 recipes at a go. I would love to have this sauce on my ice cream....now it get me mouth watering now....slurrrrppppp....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mel! This is so easy to make and yet so addictive!

      Delete
  3. Can I have a bottle too, please? Love caramel sauce.

    Btw can u pls link this to my Christmas event, if u don't mind...http://goodyfoodies.blogspot.com/2013/12/baby-sumos-christmas-recipes-collection.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alvin, so that's what you have been up to! Sounds easy enough to make. Would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha PH! Sorry for the "silence"... Too many distraction lately... holidays, X-Factor, home chef... I promise to "be back" soon! :D

      Delete
  5. I PM you my address. *wink* LOL...LOL
    Look extremely good...nice pic!

    Have a great day, don't forget my share.....hehehe....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Haha Erika! I would love too but I need to fly it there!

      Delete
  7. It is season of giving and I DeFiNaTeLy will be happy to receive it. Merry Christmas to you and family. Have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy! You have a great holiday too!

      Delete
  8. Alvin , when will I receive mine ? lol Easy peasy for sure !

    Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Too easy for you to make yourself than I ship over! :D

      You and your loved ones have a great Christmas and happy new year!

      Delete
  9. which company are you working in ? dept? ii'm going to send in my resume and be your colleague!! LOL! Merry CHristmas to you and your family! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Lena! Good try!

      Merry Xmas to you and your family too! :D

      Delete
  10. Lucky colleagues of yours. Nothing beats such personal gift. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Edith! You have a great holiday too!

      Delete

Share it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...