Monday, November 18, 2013

Private Wine Dinner - Chef and Sommelier for Hire




I dreamt of opening a restaurant. Yes, that was before. Over the years, what used to be a "life-long" dream slowly died off as I witnessed how the competitiveness of our local food and beverage industry, the manpower shortage problem and the high rental cost forced many F&B outlets to cease operation. I thought this dream would always remain a dream.

But my passion for cooking and wine pairing remains strong. I enjoy cooking for my family and occasional guests and I find it not really that demanding. I might not have attended any type of formal training in culinary arts but I have a deep passion and love for food and I would love to share that with more people. I am confident that my food made with love and heart will put a smile on your face.

Last Saturday night, I took a baby step to becoming a private chef. Some friends with the same passion for wine and food "hired" me to prepare a formal wine dinner. From the conceptualization of the menu, wine selection, cooking and plating to setting up the dining room, I truly enjoyed every part of the process. I enjoyed being a private chef.

Going into someone's home to cook for them is a very rewarding experience and to me, it's also an honoured privilege. I am seriously considering doing this at a more serious level but at the same time I do not want to kill my passion over dollars and cents. I am not talking about quitting my day job, taking that leap of faith and jumped in but taking baby steps to take on more projects like the dinner that I did last Saturday. Baby step by baby step,  I hope to realise my dream.

Chef and Sommelier for hire, anyone? :D


(L to R)  Pan-seared scallop served on lotus roots chip with organic soya milk cream
The perfect egg – Chilled Sous Vide Tamago Onsen with Ikura and sweet pear
Mousse of Foie Gras in Ice Wine Sauce




Pan-seared scallop served on lotus roots chip with organic soya milk cream

Classic rich and creamy bisque served with seared crayfish

Pan-seared 72-hours sous vide beef short ribs served with potato gratin,
roasted garlic, caramelized chestnut and salad greens

Dessert Trio - Coffee Panna Cotta with Chocolate Sauce
Warm Chocolate Lava Cake
Vanilla Ice Cream

Assorted Cheese Platter

The wine selection

29 comments:

  1. Hi, congratulation to you. Keep up the good job. Yes, start from baby step....take one step at a time and soon I will see your name in your own restaurant or 6 stars fine dining restaurant. :))

    Well done, the above menu look exclusive. Nice pics!
    Wishing you all the best, hope your dream come true. And off course I hope to get a chance to try your cooking... one of this day...hehehehe

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Alvin! Your dishes look exquisite - real fine dining stuff there. I think you are moving in the right direction. Keep the day job and do this on part time basis. Who knows, bigger opportunities may knock on your door. Or after retirement you can go into private catering full time. Use this time as training ground. Your "clients'" must be very happy with the dinner you prepared. Here's cheering you on towards your dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouragement, Phong Hong!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I can afford you. You did not specify your price but I know for sure, you do not come cheap! Ooopsss!!!! Muahahahahaha!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alvin, congratulations on a job well done! I am sure your friends (clients) must be very very happy with the exclusive dinner you served them, I know I will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alvin
    Congrats to you. Your dishes and presentation always seem on par with the 5 star restaurant quality. Chef for hire? Must be pricey? Very soon you will on a show "Chef For Hire".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! Huh? On TV show? No no... I'm camera shy! :D

      Delete
  6. Looks fab Alvin! Am sure your guests enjoyed the lavish meal. I would surely love to "hire" you if I was living in SG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alvin,
    Congratulations for taking the baby steps! I admire your courage to start what you are doing.
    I wish all the best and success in your culinary dreams! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce!! I still do not have the courage to do this full-time.

      Delete
  8. Hi Chef Alvin, hope that the small steps will lead you to a big success soon! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Alvin , a big congrats ! I bet I can't even afford even one of your dish *sigh* lol I'm sure your clients slash friends really enjoyed the fabulous food you've created for them - don't forget the exceptional wines you've served as well ! Baby steps indeed and may you have more private clients in the future ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Any rich Hong Kong Tycoons wanna hire and fly me to HK? :D

      Delete
  10. Wonderful option Alvin:) There's always a beginning to everything. You've got the talent, the desire, the personality...all I can wish for you is more success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie for your kind words! I'm truly flattered.

      Delete
  11. Hi Alvin,
    Congratulations!
    That was a classy and lavish meal.
    With your heart and soul cooking and preparation, i bet that effort put a big smile and lots of thumb up from your clients.
    Do you need a sous chef?...lols
    Alvin, 加油!

    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement Mui! If you can fly over, I would love to have you as my sous chef! :D

      Delete
  12. Bro, maybe you can open a private kitchen restaurant, only take pre-booking order...I can see you have this potential especially prepare fine dining menu like this! Everything look so awesome and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chi! No plan for physical restaurant yet. My plan is to go to client's house and also at a very leisure pace. Maybe 1-2 times a month or even less. I still want my family time! :D

      Delete
  13. Congrats Alvin! A very good start. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...