Friday, September 27, 2013

Pandan Hokkaido Cupcake




I have mentioned in my earlier post that the family enjoys Hokkaido cupcakes and wife has been baking the original version regularly and lately she tweaked the recipe to come out with the green tea version.

When I told her that I had not submitted any pandan recipe for this month's Little Thumbs Up event, she immediately suggested to bake some Pandan Hokkaido cupcakes.

Pandan (also known as screwpine) leaves and essence are very widely used in Southeast Asian cooking as a flavouring agent. It has a very characteristic nutty and botanical aroma that enhances our food especially in rice, cake and many desserts.

To extract the essence from the Pandan leaves, wife opted for the traditional method of using mortar and pestle instead of the food processor for a more robust flavour and also for nostalgic reason. 

The kids were so curious when they saw the stone mortar for the first time. Feeling and playing with it and asking many questions. To me, the mortar reconnects me with my grandma, my tradition and roots. The whole kitchen was so filled with nostalgia and the aroma of the Pandan during the whole pounding and extraction process. Love it!

Pandan Hokkaido Cupcakes 
(Adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover  with changes in BLUE)
*makes 9 cupcakes

Ingredients

Chiffon cake
3 egg yolks
20g sugar
35g corn oil
60g 50g milk
10g Pandan extract
70g cake flour

3 egg whites
25g sugar

Filling
60g 120g dairy whipping cream
10g 20g sugar
1tsp instant custard powder

Icing sugar, for dusting

Method
1. Pre-heat oven to 170C.
2. Arrange paper liners on baking tray.
3. Hand whisk egg yolk and sugar till pale in colour.
4. Add in corn oil, pandan extract and milk, mix well.
5. Sift in cake flour, stir to combine.
6. Beat egg white until foamy, gradually add sugar, and continue beat till soft peak form.
7. Take 1/3 of egg white and use a hand whisk to mix into egg yolk batter.
8. Fold in the balance egg white with a spatula till well combined.
9. Scoop batter into pre-arranged paper liners to about ¾ full.
10. Bake for 20-25 mins at middle rack.
11. Beat whipping cream with sugar till firm and stiff (over a bowl of iced water).
12. Add in custard powder, mix well.
13. Pipe custard cream into cupcake and dust with icing sugar. Keep refrigerated before consume.









I am submitting this post to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids

This month's event is hosted by Joceline from Butter, Flour & Me and Pandan is the theme for September. You can join in the fun and contribute your recipes here.


48 comments:

  1. I love your stone pestle & mortar which, like you, reminds me of my Mum's kitchen! Now I own a mini white smooth stone p&m and nothing to brag about :-( Love your little cupcakes and the paper liner!! A work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never use a blender - for me, it's the mortar and pestle, our traditional lesung batu, no less. The taste is definitely nicer.

    Yours looks very rough on the inside? With any new one, we would pound grated coconut (the milk/santan already squeezed out for use) for as long as we can to get rid if the sandy texture...and through frequent use, the inside would be smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arthur! Agree totally and thanks for the tips.

      Delete
  3. The sight of mortar & pestle terrified me. A much dreaded chore to do when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mortar and pestle reminds me of my childhood times back in my hometown. I usually help out in using this pounding and pounding and pounding.....and oh....with my small hands i feel pestle so heavy. The usual hokkaido cupcakes with a change to pandan flavour seems to be a good change for another flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mel and we placed the mortar on a thick phone directory or yellow pages so that the pounding sound will be minimized and not disturb our neighbours below. :D

      Delete
  5. Love your Pandan Hokkaido Cupcakes. Am still using the pestle & mortar for pounding chillies too. Still think it taste better than the blender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia and yes I think it tastes better. :D

      Delete
  6. Hello,thanks for your kind support. Will book mark this cup cake & prepare for my children school party. Thanks your link. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Joceline. I wish I could contribute more but as you can seen I have not been cooking as much lately. :(

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Haha Victoria... You gave me a business idea! :D

      Delete
  8. Hi Godson, you also like to use mortal & pestle? Me too prefer to use this for pounding chillies or any paste it taste a lot of different compare with blender. Your cupcake look really cottony soft, save 2 for my breakfast plus coffee too. :))

    Be seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D You want everything that I post here! LOL!

      Delete
  9. Hi Alvin,
    Lovely cupcakes! I used the lesung sometimes too in my kitchen. What I really miss is the batu giling, had my fair share of "giling rempah" using the batu giling when I was young. Hardly see that anymore, but my dad still have my mom's batu giling, back in hometown.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce! It sure brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

      Delete
  10. Aw! I can just imagine everyone in your kitchen having a blast. And then to be able to eat these cupcakes afterwards = even better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alvin, I had this pandan Hokaido cupcake in mind for the pandan theme but sadly I didn't make it. And I sure am glad that you guys did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought mortar and pestle few months ago and used it for making Thai green curry paste for the first time though I need more patience :P I haven't tried homemade pandan extract but I sure love its wonderful aroma ( yeah , the one I used is store-bought ) Those Hokkaido cupcakes look wonderful , the liners as well :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! The pandan essence extracted this way is defintely more natural and robust than those bottled essence from the stores.

      Delete
  13. how nice of your wife to bake these pandan cupcakes to support LTU! They are pretty! somemore use pounding method to extract pandan juice...did you give your wife a good massage on her arms after that? :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your cake is going to float away, it's fluffy and light! Love this cake but mine always sink:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeannie! Strange that yours always sink. Keep trying!

      Delete
  15. Pretty sure this delicious judging by the texture. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. arghhhh why do you always take such nice and yummy pictures? the cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Eiling! I learn a lot from my Photography master! :D

      Delete
  17. Hi Alvin,

    You are stressing out your wife to submit something for LTU!!! :p

    Like both your green tea and pandan versions of Hokkaido cupcakes! You must tell your Mrs that she did a great job!!! :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! She's very passionate about her baking! :D

      Delete
  18. Love pandan... my happy aroma :)
    Cakes looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is absolutely gorgeous and I wish to have several of them! It must be so delicious... Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Alvin,
    You must help me thank your lovely wife for sharing this wonderful pandan hokkaido cupcake to LTU!! They definitely look really delicious:)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Alvin,
    I've never make Hokkaido cupcake before & I like your wife's version with pandan ! I can imagine the lovely flavour of this delicious cupcake! Wish I can sample one now! LOL Bookmarking again, thanks for sharing this recipe ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit! The family loves this recipe from Sonia the first time wife made this and it has become a regular bake in this household now! :D

      Delete
  22. Hi Alvin

    How did you make the pestle stand in the mortar? Blu-Tack?

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! Nope... The pestle was heavy enough to stand on its own. :D

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...