Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Flavours of Italy Culinary Workshop by Executive Chef Anna Borrasi




This series of "Flavours of Italy" culinary workshops is part of the line up of Gusto Italiano which celebrates and showcases the food, culinary talents and produce of Italy from Sep 1 - Oct 3.

I was glad to be invited to be part of this cooking workshop by executive chef Anna Borrasi of Etna Italian Restaurant. Hailing from Napoli, Italy, Chef Anna is the only female group executive chef with proven expertise in Italian cuisine in Singapore.

Chef Anna shared her expertise by preparing two delightful Italian dishes that can be easily prepared at home during the workshop. The first was seared smoked scamorza cheese wrapped in Parma ham followed by paccheri pasta stuffed with mortadella and mushroom.

Although I had a great time learning from Chef Anna and meeting up with a couple of my readers during the event, I was disappointed that I was unable to take pictures of the beautiful dishes immediately after they were just dished out during the workshop. I was stopped by the so-called official photographer who was happily snapping the dishes away himself but forbade me from doing so by asking the assistant to take them away after he was done?!

We all know that food does not keep it’s appetizing looks for long so we have to shoot quickly after it has been cooked before it melts, collapses, wilts and changes color. So it really beats me when I was told to take the pictures only after the event. So my apologies for not posting more photos of the food and the event as I totally lost my mood to shoot after that.

Stay tuned for the two recipes which I will post soon in my subsequent posts.





29 comments:

  1. Frankly, I think your own "works of art" look a lot nicer...but of course, the test of the pudding is in the eating. Some dishes may look awful but taste absolutely heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's a very encouraging comment! Thanks Bro!

      Delete
    2. See! I'm not the only one saying that...though I would think some, if not all, of the ladies would be distracted by your muscles. Wink! Wink! Hehehehehe!!!!

      Delete
  2. I went to an event yesterday too, and there was this photographer who just whisked the plate away when everyone was taking photos n took it to the back of the room to photograph it herself first. Haha! first time it happened to us too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still look tempting and delicious despite the wait to take the pics after the event. You are a good photographer:D A very buffed one I must say hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your recipes. I'm sure your presentations are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dishes still looked good. Looking forward to your recipes and your handiwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heng I did not go if not maybe will end up with a scene there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Derrick! You should be there together with me! We could create a scene together! Lol!

      Delete
  7. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comSeptember 24, 2013 at 11:05 PM

    The dishes do look very tempting and irresistible! You are indeed a good photographer too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy! I'm still learning... my cooking and photography.

      Delete
  8. Hi Alvin,

    Maybe the so-called official KS photographer thought that you are pretending to take pictures and then pinch the food... just kidding!

    Love to see your recipes... Are the recipes from Anna?

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Zoe, recipes are from Anna. Will be posting very soon.

      Delete
  9. Alvin, looking forwards to seeing your version of the dishes. The photos look OK though. Hey, have you been working out at the gym? Nice work. I want to build muscles too, I have lots of fats to convert :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong! I will be posting the recipes but will not be recreating them at home for now. But the 2 recipes are quite easy to prepare at home, if you are interested.

      You should detox more! Haha.. Yes, I try to hit the gym 2-3 times a week. :D

      Delete
  10. Yours are the money shot! Gorgeous work, Chef!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The "standing" pasta is got a fancy simple presentation...
    I'm looking forward for the recipe chef.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alvin,
    A great experience indeed, to be invited to a culinary workshop. The official photographer sounds like a spoilt big kid! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhh... Joyce. He could be just carrying out instruction... :D

      Delete
  13. Hi Godson, you must be very excited to be invited to this Italy culinary workshop. Good for you, learned new dishes and it benefit us too when you share it in your next posting. Looking forward to it.

    P/S You do weight lifting or swimming? Keep up the good job, you'll still look good in the next 40 years. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Godmum! Next 40yrs? That not quite possible. The aim is to slow down the aging process. Haha.

      Delete
  14. i'm spending more seconds to look at your muscles than the food photos here...arhahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...