Saturday, August 24, 2013

Cold Tamago Onsen (Soft Boiled Egg) Starter




I first had this cold starter dish as part of a Omakase meal when my group of makan buddies introduced me to Meii Sushi (Check out Urbanarchiver's review here). Chef Hong served the cold Tamago Onsen dish topped with Uni, Ikura, Yamaimo (Japanese Yam), wasabi and seasoned with just soy sauce. 

Simply mix all the ingredients with the soft boiled egg and you will be treated to a very refreshing starter with different layers of texture and flavours.  Once in the mouth, you could taste the soft, pillowy sensation of the uni, the burst of the ikura, the crunchiness of the Yamaimo so well combined with the delicate egg white custard and creamy yolk with the kick from the wasabi and the umami flavour from the soy. Heaven.

I kept thinking about this dish after our meal at Meii Sushi and decided to recreate this at home last week using some sous vide eggs. I dropped the expensive uni from the ingredient list and replaced the Yamaimo with sweet fragrant pear for my attempt. My oh my! How should I describe this? It was the same gastronomic ecstasy that got me so excited at the restaurant. You must try this!


Ingredients (Serves 4) 

4 sous vide eggs (64C for 45 minutes in water bath or you can use normal soft boiled eggs)
25g Ikura
1 sweet fragrant pear (chilled)
Wasabi
Good-grade Soy Sauce

Method

Chill the the sous vide eggs (or soft boiled) in fridge for at least an hour.

Peel the cold pear and cut into small pieces, roughly about 1cm x 1cm x 2cm. Put aside.

Crack the cold eggs carefully into 4 serving bowls and top each with a teaspoon of Ikura, 6-8 small pear pieces. Add wasabi and soy sauce according to your preference.

Serve cold.






I am submitting this post to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids

This month's event is hosted by Yen from Eat your heart out and Egg is the theme for August. You can join in the fun and contribute your recipes here.


31 comments:

  1. Wasabi? Hmmm...no, thank you. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alvin, your sous vide eggs look perfect! I really shd convince my hubby to get me a sous vide machine too for Christmas :P In the meantime I shall just use soft boiled egg, the poor man's version :D Hehe! Thx for linking to LTU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yen! Yes, I highly recommend you to get one since you cook so very regularly!

      Delete
  3. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comAugust 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM

    Well Alvin, this looks so yummy and easy to prepare too :) Will try this one day .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy! Try Try and let me know your feedback!

      Delete
  4. Alvin, your sous vide eggs looks so tasty! It is perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply stunning! Yes, your sous vide eggs look incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alvin, what a pretty and delicate dish! Guess what? I am going to try it and if it works, I will post it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phong Hong! Looking forward to reading your post! :D

      Delete
  7. Such an innovative and unique way of eating eggs. By the way what is sous vide eggs? and how does one make that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich! Sous Vide means "Under Vacuum" in French. It's a cooking technique involves cooking food in vacuum-sealed pouches, submerged in a water bath held at a precisely controlled temperature.

      For these sous vide eggs, I cooked them in the water bath at 63C for 45 minutes.

      Delete
  8. You have turned a cheap food into a 5 star! and beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alvin,
    This looks lovely and delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!!Looks very delicious and perfect starter!!! You're good Alvin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alvin,

    All your egg-y pictures in this post looks extremely artistic. I like the first one with small bubbles forming around the eggs the most!

    Beautiful!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! Thanks! That was taken with the camera over the water bath and I had to take few shots due to the condensation... Yes, I like the end result too! :D

      Delete
  12. Hi Godson, wah.... you're better than any other chef in S'pore. Very impressive looking. DELICIOUS!

    Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Godmum! Pls don't say that. There are many many talented chefs out there who are much better than me. I'm still learning and having fun! :D

      Delete
  13. wow, so well presented! I will have to google and find out what is ikura ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay , no wasabi for me , please lol Your starter looks terrific and I bet delicious , too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! I'm definitely trying my hands on this. Sounds so refreshing! :)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...