Thursday, July 18, 2013

Ginger Mojito




Along with cigars, the Mojito is one of Cuba's most famous exports. Its name comes from the African word "mojo", meaning to cast a little spell. The advantage Mojitos have are the simple-yet-tasty ingredients: rum, sugar, lime juice, mint and soda water.

One of my favourite beverages, I make Mojito at home regularly. The combination of sweetness, refreshing citrus, and mint flavors complements perfectly the potent kick of the rum. A perfect cocktail drink in our hot humid weather.

I do not like the bitter taste of soda water and have been using Sprite (7-Up or any equivalent) to make Mojito at home. Most of the Mojito recipes use white rum but I prefer to use the richer and more flavourful dark rum to make my Mojito and the Havana Club Añejo 7 Años is my favourite.

For this month's Little Thumbs Up event, I made a slight twist to my regular Mojito recipe - I added ginger to spice up my favourite cocktail! 

Salud!


Ingredient

1 teaspoon of brown sugar
Juice of half a Lime
2 mint sprigs, plus extra to serve
2-3 thin slices of old ginger
Sprite
45ml Dark Rum Havana Club Añejo 7 Años  (Or any Rum of your choice)**
Ice cubes

Method

Add sugar, lime juice, mint sprigs, ginger slices in a mixing jug or straight into a tall glass. Muddle until sugar dissolves, the oils are released from the mint and juice from the ginger. 

Fill glass with ice cubes, add the rum and stir well. If using a mixing jug, strain or pour the mix into the glass and top off with Sprite.

Serve decorated with a lime wedge and extra sprig of mint. Enjoy responsibly. Salud!


** If you do not take alcohol, simply skip the rum for a refreshing non-alcoholic Virgin Mojito!









I am submitting this post to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids

I am the host for this month's event and Ginger is the theme for July. You can join in the fun and contribute your recipes here.



60 comments:

  1. Hi-5 Alvin! Mojito is my fav cocktail too, I also use Sprite when I make mine and omit the sugar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comJuly 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM

    Alvin, this cocktail is so refreshing... Love this :) Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Ivy! I'm glad that you love it.

      Delete
  3. WOW! This rum cocktail with ginger and lime looks so refreshing. Wish I have some dark rum at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! White Rum is fine, if that's what you have. In fact, Mojito is traditionally made using the lighter rum... it's just my personal preference to use dark rum.

      Delete
  4. That looks so good. I've tried pineapple ginger soda - loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arthur! :D Pineapple and ginger sound like a winner!

      Delete
  5. Non Alcohol mojito is the family's favourite. I did it with lime,apple juice. ginger juice, mint and sprite

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't drink alcohol but this looks so inviting... my ginger recipe will be up next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooo this ginger mojito sounds right up my alley! I am heading straight out to the store to get the sprite and mint! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alvin, I more or less expected you to do an alcoholic ginger drink hee..hee..I actually did an experiment last weekend with kiwifruits and might come up with something too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Phong Hong... That's scary! :p You can read me!!! :D

      Kiwifruits? Cool... Pls share!

      Delete
  9. Ginger? Mmm... Imagining the punch it gives to the drink! So which is stronger? Ginger or mint! I think I need one of this pick me up mojitios too! Fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bee! Mint and lime in this case... but if you want more ginger kick, extract more juice from more ginger.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow! I need this right now! Sounds inviting & refeshing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alcohol is not for me but your monitor looks so inviting, heehee. Maybe I could steal a sip or two ��. This will definitely go very quickly during a dinner party, that 's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica! Nice to hear from you again!

      Yes... this runs out fast!

      Delete
  12. Hi Godson, wow.... very refreshing and awesome ginger Mojito. Make one glass for me, while I go hunt for crocodile meat. LOL

    As usual very professional click! Have a great day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Godmum! Beware of the buayas out there! ;P

      Delete
  13. It looks refreshing indeed ! Gorgeous pics, Alvin ! Just love the overhead shot :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I'm really enjoying food photography!

      Delete
  14. Oh Wow! Cool! Refreshing! Bottoms-up! Slurpppp... one more please!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like a really refreshing drink, would love to try some if I may:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this is special for me. cooling...

    ReplyDelete
  17. A perfect, cool and refreshing beverage on a hot, sunny day! It's getting hot over here in BE with temps of above 26C. Am thinking of making this over the weekend ;-)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nasifriet! So have you made Mojito this weekend?! :D

      Delete
  18. Love this cocktail...so refreshing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Alvin, please make for my husband......great photos and drink looks refreshing and cooling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a good idea of using ginger for cocktail! So refreshing!!!! One for me please ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mojito anytime! Nice addition of ginger into this refreshing cocktail, Alvin!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just mouthwatering...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. mojo? i have been losing some blogging mojo lately, do you think this will help? your pic makes me even more thirsty now, chef!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena! Not so sure if this is going to help your blogging but I'm very sure you will sip this to the last drop! :D

      Delete
  24. Hi Alvin,

    I'm sort of trapped with a boring routine right now... This mojo is exactly what I need.

    MOJO MOJO MOJO MOJO MOJO!!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! Hope you get out of your boring routine soon!

      Delete
  25. Beautiful pics and thanks for the recipe. I never liked mint but I like it in mojitos :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. the other day i was craving for a mojito but was too lazy to make one. this one here looks so nice for a hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eiling! If you have all the ingredients, Mojito is really not that difficult to make!

      Delete
  27. Hi there,

    I love mojitos and will definitely be trying out this recipe soon! If you have the time, please check out my blog at www.treatsandmeats.com.

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...