Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Carrot, Ginger & Rum Raisin Cake




The end of July is approaching.

So what so significant about this month end? That our National Day is just 10 days away? I am turning the BIG 40 two weeks from now? My mid-year performance review with my boss is due tomorrow? (This should be of the least significance?! Haha!) My tenure as the host of this month's Little Thumbs Up (LTU) event comes to an end tomorrow. 

This (LTU) is special to me as this is the first time I am hosting such a blog event and I am enjoying it thoroughly. With only 2 days of preparation for this event, I was quite stressed out last month end when I came back from my holidays but everything turned out well, very well indeed. Thanks to many of you who had given me and LTU lots of encouragement and support. I was pleasantly surprised by the positive response right from the start as I was away and had been quite quiet in the blogsphere prior to the event. I have never expected to receive more than 100 recipe submission in a month! Some of you had contributed more recipes than the host himself!

Through this event, I came to know many of you and your fantastic blogs for the very first time. And many of my "old" pals really went all out to come out with many interesting recipes using ginger and I know some of you who do not even like ginger in the first place! My heartfelt appreciation and a BIG THANK YOU to all of you! I am sure the friendship and our passion for food will continue to grow beyond this event.

With this post, I am submitting my last recipe to this event. Hope you like it.

Over to you, Yen!


Carrot, Ginger & Rum Raisin Cake
Adapted from Okashi Sweet Treats made with Love by Keiko Ishida


Ingredients
Makes one 24-cm cake

60g Dried raisins
2 tbsp Rum
40g Walnuts
180g Unbleached plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
1/2 tbsp aluminium-free baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
140g Maple syrup (I used 100g)
60g Beet sugar (I used 50g brown sugar)
60g Safflower oil
150g carrots, coarsely grated
140g ground almonds


Method

Prepare raisins a day in advance. Blanch raisins in a small saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute and drain well. Soak the raisins in the rum overnight.

Toast walnuts at 150C for 15-20 minutes without preheating. Cool and chop into small pieces.

Sift together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon and ground ginger twice.

Combine maple syrup, beet sugar and safflower oil in a bowl and stir to combine. Add carrots and fold in. Add flout, ground almonds, rum-soaked raisins and toasted walnuts into the bowl and fold in with a spatula.

Pour batter into prepared cake pan (24 x 8 x 6 cm) and make a lengthwise dent in the middle with a spatula. Bake for about 50 minutes (baking time may vary according to your oven).

When cake is done, turn it out onto a clean work surface. Peel off parchment or natural drawing paper from bottom of cake and leave to cool on a wire rack. When cooled, wrap cake in cling film and serve 2 days after baking. The flavour of cake would have improved by then.












I am submitting this post to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids

I am the host for this month's event and Ginger is the theme for July. You can join in the fun and contribute your recipes here.


49 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy! Thanks for all the support! :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Godson, congratulation on your successful LTU hosting. 2 thumbs up for you.

    That's a very nice and moist cake, excellent combination. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is making me so hungry! I think I would devour this cake. No, I KNOW I would. :)
    End of July couldn't come soon enough. For the past week I've thought it was August already. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your carrot cake looks real moist and tempting......it sure have.... my stomach growl even at this hour (2.38am)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alvin,

    July 2013 has been also a crazy month for me! Totally agree that having holidays in June (in regardless) is good but this means that we will have lesser time to prepare for July cooking... Good that we all made it. TGIA!!!

    You did very well hosting this event... I reckon that you have great charms and have attracted more than 100 entries. Must thank Kimmy, man! She is your biggest LTU "customer" - LOL!

    Like your carrot, ginger and rum raisin cake. Very nice finale! Crossing over to your big 40? or the new 30s... For these years, I have convinced myself that it is not the numbers that matters... it is the look - LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second the motion - our friend certainly has his charms, attracting contributors like ants to sugar. LOL!!! :P

      Delete
    2. Hi Zoe! Thanks for inviting me to host the LTU!

      Look is a function of age, isn't it? :D

      Delete
    3. Haha Arthur! You are making me laugh!

      Delete
  6. Rum & raisin? Oooooo....I super-duper like!!! And I do love good carrot cake too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you like all the ingredients? Except the ginger? :D

      Delete
  7. This recipe is like combining the innocent with the naughty heehee! i LIKE :) bookmarked to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okok... Let me know how it turns out! :D

      Delete
  8. This fruity gingery cake looks delicious! And wishing you a happy birthday in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo... Thanks Mich! But I still want to enjoy my last days in my 30s.

      Delete
  9. It was nice "meeting" you too. I just had a pcs of horrible carrot cake @ coffee B and now looking at yours, seriously motivate me to bake one for myself instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alvin, great to know you in foodie blogosphere. Great to know a young man like you who knows how to appreciate good food and wine. And an excellent cook as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alvin, this is a wonderful cake, i know i will love this cake. will bookmark it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alvin,
    Lovely cake! Your ginger event is a success! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alvin, carrot cake with ginger and rum! This cake must certainly pack a punch, eh? Have been wanting to bake a carrot cake for ages but glad I haven't. Will try this as my first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ok! Hopefully it will not disappoint you! :D

      Delete
  14. Bro, you have hosting this event so well. And I know how many years I am actually ahead of you, now I feel myself really old lar, hahaha..This sound like a wonderful cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A-Chi!

      So how small is our gap? :D

      Delete
  15. Hi Alvin , Wow! This carrot cake sounds & looks so inviting! Love the rich & dense texture . And the addition of rhum makes it even tastier, I'm sure! hehehe Bookmarking this recipe & congratulation on your successful LTU hosting! So sorry that I can't submit more ginger post as we're on vacation . But hey I finally made it ! Better late than never! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit!

      No worries! Everyone has his/her commitment outside blogsphere... Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  16. Hi Alvin, I think you did an excellent job hosting LTU! I'm hoping that I can get half as many entries as you :) Hehe. Love your cake, looks incredibly moist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yen! I'm sure you will do better! Actually, number is not the most important. To me, my greatest reward is to know all of you wonderful foodies! :D

      Thinking of what egg dish to cook now.... ;)

      Delete
  17. I have this book too! Only manage to bake 2 recipes so far...got to try this one too. I am reading the cookbook like a book lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Jeanie... Like a bedtime story book?! :D

      Delete
  18. Wow you cake looks delicious, your foodie pics are stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great ending to LTU! I have that book and always see that recipe but it never made its way to my to-bake list. Now I'm seeing this recipe in new light. I totally love your pictures and the way you make them look so delectable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. The original version of the cake in the book looks darker... I guess it is due to the beet sugar but I used brown sugar instead.

      Delete
  20. This sounds so delicious.. and looks as delish too ^^! I love cakes that improve with age ~ by that I mean a day! 2 is kinda stretching it, haha! A'ways, congrats on yr successful LTU hosting ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hui! How are you?

      I just had a slice of the aged cake after dinner... it was really ok! :D

      Delete
  21. Thanks for hosting LTU. There are so many wonderful and delicious recipes contributed by you and others bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Do try some of them and hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  22. And I haven't submitted even one , sorry :P This cake looks delish ! Love the delightful combo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! No problem... you must have been busy! :D

      Delete
  23. sorry for coming by late, just back from a trip and lots to catch up. Congratulations on the ginger event and you also did well on the host job! NIce cake, maybe be a good idea for a simple christmas cake too!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...