Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Braised Pork Trotters Bee Hoon




Braised pork trotter bee hoon (rice vermicelli) was one of the many dishes that I grew up eating frequently at Grandma’s place. This traditional Hokkien bee hoon is comfort food, homely and simple, but with great flavour and taste. Grandma loved to cook this for our Sunday lunch as a one-dish meal with a hot sweet dessert (usually sweet potato and ginger soup) and I could have 2-3 bowls of the bee hoon at one go.

The rice noodle is redolent with the aromatic flavour from the canned pork trotter, which means you do not have to rely too much on other ingredients for flavour. The noodles are braised in broth to absorb the flavour, rather than fried. This way, the bee hoon will not disintegrate or break easily.

You can use/add other vegetables like cabbage, leek or carrot but I love using Chye Sim (Choy Sum or Cai Xin) in this dish as this was exactly the same way how Grandma did it.

I cooked this bee hoon dish and the sweet potato ginger soup recently for the family’s Sunday lunch. While I was enjoying the sight of my kids happily finishing the bee hoon on their plates, I was also transported back in time to when I was a school boy sitting on the wooden stool enjoying granny’s cooking from those ceramic rooster bowls. That brought a smile to my face as I could feel the heritage continuity.

Our culinary heritage – Let’s pass it on.


Ingredients

1 packet Dried Bee Hoon (400g) (Chili brand)
2 cans pork trotters (Insist on Narcissus brand)
300g Cai Xin (Wash and cut into 3-inch sections)
3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tbsp cooking oil

Sauce
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
3 tbsp Dark Sauce
2 tbsp chinese wine
2 tsp fish sauce
pepper
500ml chicken stock (If unavailable, substitute with hot water)

Method

Soak the dry bee hoon in water until softened, about 30 minutes. Drained and set aside.

Mix all ingredients for the sauce. Stir well and set aside.

Heat up a frying wok and stir fry the garlic in cooking oil until fragrant without browning. Empty the cans of pork trotters into the wok. Keep frying and at the same time break up the trotters into smaller bite size.

Pour in the sauce mixture, turn up the heat and bring it to a boil.

Add the bee hoon and stir well to ensure the noodles are well coated with the braising liquid. Cover the wok with a lid and braise the noodle on high heat for about 10 minutes or until noodles are cooked. In between, give the bee hoon just a slight toss to ensure even braising throughout. Do not allow the gravy to dry up. (Add hot water if required)

Just before noodles are cooked, add the vegetables and mix well. Continue braising until both noodles and vegetables are cooked.

Sprinkle homemade crispy fried shallot over. Serve with sweet potato ginger soup.

Welcome to Heaven.
















48 comments:

  1. Alvin, isn't it amazing that this is exactly how my Hokkien Ama cook this most loved dish for us when we were little...very nostalgic food you've posted today...flashing back most treasured memory of my beloved ama and her care for us thru her many dishes...sigh! I'm so happy that you continue on passing the same heritage to your children:) They too will appreciate this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! I'm glad that you love this dish and the fond memories that it brings to you. We share the same sentiment.

      Delete
  2. The next time you cooked this again, can I come over even if I am not invited? I loves braised pig trotters....they are so so so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hi Mel! Sure, but do alert me before you come knocking on my door... I need to get more port trotters can for you!!! :D

      How's NZ now? Cold?

      Delete
  3. Ahhhhhh!!!! I cook this too!!! Blogged about it here:
    http://suituapui.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/big-or-small
    Hmmm...how come mine doesn't look as nice? Tsk! Tsk!
    I'm hungry now... Slurpsssss!!!! Gotta go and cook breakfast. Ta-ta!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ,,wonder chef,,
    tis is our tardition teochew bhoon,
    our all time favourite,,i bay tanhang,,
    must cook tis week after my game,n no
    wories for belly big haha,,,
    thanks for sharing,,
    belly fat-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hi! Is this Teochew? I always think it's a Hokkien dish.

      What game do you play?

      Delete
  5. Alvin, honestly the last time I attempted to cook this, I googled, searched for many recipes and finally found one that I thought was suitable. Maybe the explanations or the steps weren't clear enough but I definitely didn't get anything close to yours.

    When I saw this post of yours, it finally get me excited because I think this is the closest thing that will remind me of what my grandma cooked for me. Saddest thing is, no one managed to inherit her recipes and neither did anyone jot down her recipes either :( Now, I will try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace! I hope you would like my version. Do let me have your feedback after you have tried, ok?

      Delete
    2. Sure, I will :) I'm going to attempt on Sunday just like how my family have their Sunday lunch together :):)

      Delete
  6. Not too long ago, I fried this too and it was sinfully delicious. Looking at yours make me want another round of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So mouth watering! The vermicelli is just so good with the trotters and the sauce...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if I can find similar pig trotters in can like the one u used.... I would most definitely love to try this. Meehoon is one of my fav noodles, and this looks so flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! You should go get some in double quick time! I'm sure you would love this!

      Delete
  9. maybe i should go to the asian supermarket soon to buy a can of this pork trotters. OMG you are making me hungry and missing all these yummy dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eiling! How's Belgium so far? Is there a big Chinatown well stocked with such Chinese product?

      Delete
  10. Rice vermicelli is one of my favorite noodles ! Though I haven't tried this kind of topping before I'm sure it taste as fantastic as it looks ! I've seen this brand around here , will look for that pig trotters ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Anne! I remember reading one of your posts on fried bee hoon. Pls try this! :D

      Delete
  11. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comJuly 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM

    Have been cooking this quite often too. I still remember when we were kids, my mum used to cook this too as it's easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ivy! Are we in the same age group? ;P

      Delete
  12. Hi Alvin! I share the love for pig's trotters; the wobbly skin and sinew is just superb. My Aunt used to cook this dish and it was so delicious. I must try this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adora! Nice to hear from you again! Glad that you are going to try this. With your photography and presentation skills, I'm sure the noodle dish will look gorgeous!

      Delete
  13. Alvin, my favourite pork trotters yum! yum! I have heard so much about frying bee hoon with the canned pork trotters. My auntie swears by it. I should really give it a go one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong! I'm quite surprised that you have not tried this style of bee hoon before. Though we are from the same era!! Hmmm... ;P

      Delete
  14. Narcissus brand - dont we all grew up with this brand!! My mum used to cook something like this too, and each time i walk past the store aisle with rows and rows of these cans, i would be so tempted to buy, but a bit sceptical about what goes into it :p. you know la, canned china stuffs..but heck, i am going to get two cans of these this weekend and make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes Esther! Share with us your bee hoon next week ok?

      Delete
  15. Bro, this is so "Ho Chiak"! You are lucky to have Ah Mah. I have no Ah Mah since young, no chance to learn from them. My mom cooked the similar Bee Hoon but she used canned pork ribs, sometime more luxury version, she added crabs as well. Can you imagine how yummy ? salivate or not? hahaha..Nowadays I also like to cook Bee Hoon with canned pork ribs, so much easy, only need minimum seasonings and turned out a great Bee Hoon. Wish I can take a plate right now for my afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without your granny's guidance, you can already cook so well!!!

      Crab bee hoon? Yes yes, my favourite too! There are few stalls/restaurants famous for this crab bee hoon dish here in Singapore.

      Delete
  16. Hi Godson, wah! your comfort bee hoon look absolutely awesome, so appetizing. Nice click, like 3D. Even the simple cai xin also so well taken. :))

    Bye, be seeing you. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Godmum! You have a great evening with the guy in white trunk? Lol!

      You have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  17. hi,,chef,
    my mum cok tis behoon make from our hometown,
    china/ohr tao-(used rice to blend)-n the taste is realy difference
    fr the local brand we used here,,itz realy
    very very nice,we shall cok again tis week,
    thanks for sharing--nigela,,-sg

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like it is time to cook this again. It looks irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love when food evokes such wonderful memories! It sounds like an amazing dish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi, i do cook pork trotters once in a while and i didnt know that they have it in a can. I want to look out for that and try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know Lena! Look out for the Narcissus brand...

      Delete
  21. It is my husband favourite dish. I cooked this dish during our last Chinese New Year open house. His friends really like it. I forgotten to blog it. But yours is beautifully done. Most of my pork trotters turned into bits sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I like the trotters to be more chunky... but that would mean less pieces unless you use more cans...

      Delete
  22. Hi Alvin,
    This is so sinfully good! We used the canned pork belly instead! Yums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Hove not tried canned pork belly.. Does it taste the same?

      Delete
  23. Hi Alvin, This is also my heritage. My late mum always cooked this dish during the weekends and green bean soup. Now, I am carrying it on to my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lian! Glad that you are passing it on!!!

      Delete
  24. My mum like to cook this as well when I was still young. I miss the taste of this canned pork trotters.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...