Saturday, May 4, 2013

Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino 2006




I have not been writing much about the wine that I drink for a long while - more than 5 months to be exact, since last November. That does not mean I have not been drinking but I was too lazy to take pictures of the wine after every drinking session. In addition, for the past months my focus for this blog had been on the "Chef" more than the "Sommelier" part as I whipped up dishes for the year-end parties, Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day etc.

But a recent comment left by Ju (The Little Teochew) on one of my earlier wine of the week posts reminded me that I have been neglecting the "Sommelier" part of my blog and urged me to keep it active. 

So during one of our recent TGIF wine sessions when my nose was intrigued and my palate delighted by this bottle of Brunello di Montalcino, I put in a conscious effort to remind myself to keep the bottle for this post.

Sangiovese is the most widely planted grape varietal in Italy and in Tuscany, it is the only grape variety allowed in the prestigious Brunello di Montalcino DOCG.  And according to wine producer Castello Banfi,  Brunello di Montalcino is their "classic" production achieved through 20 over years of research. The wine is aged in Frech oak barrels for two years and then in bottles for another two before being released.

Let this wine breathe for about half an hour before enjoying. Nose of tobacco and berries, the wine has a medium body and smooth on the palate with a long finish. 

I enjoyed this wine.

Vintage:  2006
Producer:  Castello Banfi
Varietal: 100% Sangiovese
Designation: Brunello di Montalcino
Country: Italy
Region: Tuscany
Sub-Region: Montalcino
Type: Red Wine










34 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and review. I know little to nothing about wine (but I do enjoy sipping a glass!), so enjoyed your post immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy! You do not need to know that much to enjoy wine... just trust your nose and palate.

      Delete
  2. Alvin, it's nice to keep the wine cork for your collection...the sommelier's collection reference:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie! I have lost count of the number of wine corks I have collected over the years... But each one brings a story and memory.. I'm running out of jars and containers to store them but I'm not stopping! :D

      Delete
  3. I've resumed my blog-hopping after a mth long absence. Certainly refreshing to be greeted by this lovely post! Nice sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley! Nice to hear from you again!

      Delete
  4. Nose of tobacco and berries...huh? Auntie PH is lost :) Don't worry, Alvin, I will revisit my Wine for Dummies Book soon. I was on the chapter about Chardonnay when I had to abandon the book for some other matters. There is a lot to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong! No wine book or review is going to help you truly learn wine... You have to start drinking to appreciate it. :D

      Delete
  5. I can relate er not about the wine but re too lazy to take photos :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Anne. At least you can relate to something... :D

      Delete
  6. Hello Mr Sommelier long time no see ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... Mr chef overshadowed Mr Sommelier for too long... :D

      Delete
  7. Hi Alvin,

    I'm not really a wine person. Like wine but never have as much interest as you. Still prefer the cooking aspect of your blog... Ops!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! I know... many of my readers are here to meet the Chef more than the Sommelier... :D

      Delete
  8. Wah, 100% Sangiovese sounds like an awesome way to say TGIF! ;) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ju! Yes, this is a great bottle of Sangiovese... try it. 3 more days to the next TGIF!

      Delete
  9. Bro, I am not good in wine, but we took Chianti red wine when we dine in Italy, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A-Chi! Chianti is also from Tuscany. Most importantly, you have to enjoy the wine...

      Delete
  10. Hi Alvin, great posting. Thanks for the recommendation. I do enjoy red wine...so let's cheers. I drinking wine right now while blog walking. :))

    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Castello Banfi wines are one of my favourite labels but I don't think I have tried this bottle. Nice pictures by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eiling! Try this if you have the chance!

      Delete
  12. Great post, Alvin :) I prefer medium dry white wine more than the red wine but I heard that red wine is healthier. Is it true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! White is actually ideal for out hot climate here... I do enjoy a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Gewurztraminer during lunch... what's your favourite?

      Delete
  13. I love Brunellos. I'm making a mental note of this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika! Let me know your tasting note!

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous pics!

    TGIF and a good wine certainly go hand in hand!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks Nami! Sorry for missing your comment...

      Delete
  16. Dont' drink much red anymore, so hot nowadays, nicely chilled whites are more inviting, but this was one of my fave reds, though I've not tried Castello Banfi. Pity Brunello di Montalcino a pricey wine :( Wow! Just realised I really can't remember the last bottle of red I drank!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise! Balance your wine intake... Not all food goes well with whites but I agree that whites are ideal for our weather... especially lunch!

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...