Monday, April 22, 2013

Scallops with Sweetcorn Puree and Quail's Eggs




Gordon Ramsay is one celebrity chef whom I admire very much. Not so much for his TV programmes, as I find him speaking too fast on TV, but for his cooking skills, ideas and attention to detail. I am also very impressed with his drive and ambition - rising from a 17-year-old kitchen apprentice to a 3-star Michelin Chef today.

I own lots of cookbooks and Gordon Ramsay's "Three-Star Chef" is one of my favourites. The book presents fifty of Gordon's classic dishes in the form of a photography portfolio and also the detailed recipes as produced in his three-star restaurant. If I am able to perfect all the dishes in this book, I am pretty confident to be a very successful home chef. :D

Last Wednesday, I did a 3-course dinner for wife's birthday with this scallop dish from the Gordon Ramsay's cookbook as the starter. The combination of the meaty scallops, delicate quail's eggs, sweet corn puree and truffle fragrance was simply sublime. Everyone asked for more and the kids literally licked their plates dry with no trace of the corn puree nor the truffle cream sauce on the plates.

Gordon's food is celebrated for its sublime flavour combinations, superb ingredients and brilliant presentation. This dish has every of these elements.  


Scallops with Sweetcorn Puree and Quail's Eggs
Adapted from "Three Star Chef" by Gordon Ramsay

Ingredients (Serves 6)

Scallops:
9 large scallops, shelled and cleaned
sea salt and pepper
4 tbsp olive oil
18 quail's eggs

Sweetcorn puree:
25g butter
150g frozen sweetcorn
1 tsp caster sugar
50ml chicken stock
50ml double cream

Truffle Cream Sauce:
50ml double cream
100ml mayonnaise
1 tsp truffle-infused olive oil
pinch of very finely chopped truffle shavings (I skipped this)

To Serve:
1 black truffle (optional)
lightly dressed salad of mixed leaves
olive oil, to drizzle

Method

First, make the sweetcorn puree.

Melt the butter in a medium pan and add the sweetcorn and sugar. Stir over high heat for 1-2 minutes, then add the stock and cream. Bring to boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until the sweetcorn is soft.

Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Push the puree through a fine sieve and discard the pulp.

Return the puree to the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste.

The sweetcorn puree should be the consistency of thick cream; if it is too thick, add a dsah of hot water. Rehast just before serving.


For the truffle cream sauce, stir together all the ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut half the truffle for serving, if using, into wafer-thin slices and set aside, with the sauce.


Cut each scallop horizontally into two discs and season with salt and pepper.

Heat a large heavy-based frying pan until very hot, then add half the olive oil. Lay the scallop discs in the pan and cook for 1-1.5 minutes on each side; they should feel slightly springy when pressed. Lift them out onto a warm plate and set aside.


Now cook the quail's eggs in two batches. 

Heat most of the remaining oil in the pan. Carefully crack the quail's eggs open with the tip of a knife and drop them into the hot pan. Fry for 1-1.5 minutes until the whites are opaque and firm but the yolks are still quite runny. Remove to a warm plate.

Add a little more oil to the pan before you fry the second batch. If you like, use a small paster cutter to stamp out the fried eggs and neaten the edges.


To plate, arrange three scallop discs on each warm serving plate and top with a wafer-thin slice of truffle and a quail's egg.

Drop little spoonfuls of warm sweetcorn puree between the scallops.

Place a neat handful of mixed salad in the middle, then drizzle over the truffle cream sauce and a little olive oil.

FInely grate over the remaining black truffle, if using.

Serve at once.












I am submitting this post to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.

The theme for this month's event is Corn and is hosted by Esther from Copycake Kitchen, at this post.



48 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dish! The scallops look nicely cooked and I love how the quail eggs are the perfect size. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I actually trimmed the quail's eggs for the perfect size to sit nicely on the scallops. :D

      Delete
  2. I only get to see Gordon Ramsey in his nightmarish kitchen shows. I'm a bit scared of the guy. I have to say that I admire his business acumen. This is such a beautiful dish. The presentation and photography is topnotch, Alvin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adora for your kind comment! Appreciate it..

      Delete
  3. I don't often "bookmark" anyone else's recipe. It is a compliment to you that I did mark this one. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Stephen! I'm flattered... Thank you very much!

      Delete
  4. That has got to be the most beautiful shot of quail eggs I've ever seen...I love how delicate your presentation is and now, I'm convinced to go on the hunt for some quail eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! If I understand your taste bud correctly from your posts, you definitely would love this dish especially the corn puree and truffle cream sauce!

      Delete
  5. Oooo...I love scallops...and quail eggs too!!!

    Gosh!!! You must be pretty delicate and dainty with your hands to be able to manage to do that with quail eggs! I can imagine the mess I would end up with should I ever try this.. :(

    I wonder what truffle cream tastes like - never seen or heard of it before, much less tried. Presentation 1st class, as always.

    Waiting eagerly for you to open your own place - invite me, ok? I'll write a nice review... Hehehehehehe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arthur! Thank you! Thank you!

      The truffle cream sauce is very flavourful... imagine the richness of cream with mayo plus the aroma of truffle...

      Sure... I welcome all my blogger friends :D !

      Delete
  6. If I come to your restaurant, I want this as my starter please!! Please let me know when your restaurant opens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Yen! It's not that easy to open a restaurant! But yes, I can cook this for you if you visit me in Singapore!

      Delete
  7. Omg, such a delicate and wonderful meal! Totally envy your wife! Lol! Scallops and quail eggs...what's not to like! Yeah, go open your restaurant...stop making us drool over your food! Lol (^O^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh Bee! The landlord is the winner when it comes to F&B business in Singapore!

      Delete
  8. I can feel the love and effort you put into this meal for your wife! Lucky wife and a belated birthday greeting for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should write a cookbook. I am sure it will be very popular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I have this thought before... But not for the public... I was thinking of compiling all my recipes and print out for friends as gift. :D

      Delete
  10. I've read his autobiography, it is very entertaining and interesting. Even Anthony Bourdain speaks well of his dedication. Tis meal is truly fine dining and beautifully presented. Alvin, you are definitely on your way to being a three star chef :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esther! That's too big a hat for me! I would just enjoy my cooking and be happy that people enjoy my food... with or without any stars!

      Delete
  11. This looks totally gourmet, Alvin! Love the corn sauce with the scallops.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder how much is this elegantly scrumptious dish if you serve it in your own resto ? Nah , I think I can't afford it *sigh* lol Alvin , this dish is truly marvelous ! The presentation is meticulous and I bet it taste as delectable as it looks ! Awesome photos to boot ! Well done , Chef Cee :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, how much would you pay for this? :D

      I would say, maybe S$20-S$30?

      Thanks Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  13. Very beautiful presentation there, Alvin! I'll leave all this fine dining stuff to you, OK? Auntie PH's cooking is more kampung style. I am a fan of Gordon Ramsay and I love all his shows and tantrums hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auntie Phong Hong, I love your Kampung cooking too and do not have the impression that I have such dishes everyday! :D

      Delete
  14. Stunning presentation. Very stylish starter for dinner party at home. I love every bits of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous presentation and wonderful recipe!!!!
    Alvin, thank you very much for your support on LTU ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esther and sorry for the late submission!

      Delete
  16. WOW! Alvin, I thought this dish is from a high class restaurant. The presentation looks very beautiful! Two thumbs UP!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful, mouth-watering dish! High class style dinner in the comfort of your own home, and made with love! I'm so jealous!!!
    And I'm a fan of the temperamental chef too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. chef, you're humble. You are already a perfect home chef, in my opinion even some of the chefs here in my town cant beat you...i'm not shoe polishing, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Alvin,

    Your dish looks so gorgeous! You are cooking very well like Gordon Ramsay... I wonder what are Gordon's reaction if he sees your dish? Jealous? hee hee...

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Zoe! Why would Gordon be jealous?

      Hmmm... I would very much love to hear any feedback from the man himself, good or bad.

      Delete
  20. Hi Alvin,
    Agreed with Zoe your dish looks gorgeous.
    Arrange it into a heart shape will be even more special hor...lol
    You are such a awesome home chef...your lovely wife and kids are so blessed to have such a wonderful you :)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh WOW they look exquisite!! Those quail eggs are just perfectly done and love the plating too. 5 stars! I'm drooling just looking and thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Alvin, another delectable dish. AWESOME! Wish I can try some now. :)
    As usual nice click.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey this looks like a nice starter dish I can make at home! Thanks for the post... looks really fine..

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...