Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sous Vide Pork Chop with Mushroom Risotto and Asparagus Bouquet




Once upon a time, I hardly cooked pork chop at home as it always turned out dry and tough. With the sous vide machine, this is no longer a problem in this household. Last Saturday, I made this tender and delish sous vide pork chop for our dinner. Just as good was the bacon-wrapped asparagus. The mushroom risotto provided the carbs and extra protein.

I opted for the bone-in cut as the bone would add extra flavour to the meat. Like the standard sous vide method, cooking was simple - add marinade, seal in bags, sous vide, brown and serve.

Recently, I bought this packet of dried porcini but it had been lying in the fridge, almost forgotten. I thought it was a good opportunity to use it for cooking mushroom risotto to go with the pork chop. Porcini mushrooms have a chewy texture and a strong nutty-woodsy, sweet, and meaty taste. Just like sun-dried tomatoes, porcini mushroom's flavors are actually enhanced when the mushrooms are dried. Only a handful of these will give grace to an elegant risotto, pasta or soup.

Needed some greens for the dish. What could be more beautiful than a bouquet of fresh baby asparagus wrapped in streaky bacon? While making this, I kept thinking of the hand bouquet that I presented to my love on our wedding day twelve years ago. :)

This is a fairly simple recipe. Most cooking is done by the sous vide machine. Only the risotto needs constant stirring and adding broth, the slow and painful way. But worth every minute!

Whether you are cooking to feed or impress, this is it!


Ingredients (Serves 4)

Sous Vide Pork Chop
4 bone-in pork chop (about inch thick)

Marinade (You can use any spices or sauce that you like)
1 pc inch-thick ginger
4-6 cloves garlic
2 long sprigs rosemary (just the leaves)
1 tsp freshly grounded black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp mixed spice powder
1/2 tsp lemongrass powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil
juice from half lemon

Asparagus bouquet
40-60 stalks baby asparagus (cleaned and dried)
4 slices streaky bacon
olive oil
sea salt
freshly grounded black pepper from mill

Mushroom Rissotto (Adapted from BBC Food)
1 tbsp dried porcini mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
225g/8oz chestnut mushrooms, sliced
350g/12oz arborio rice
150ml/¼ pint dry white wine
1.2 litres/2 pints hot vegetable stock
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
25g/1oz butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated parmesan, to serve


Method

Pork Chop
Blend all the marinade ingredient in a food processor to form a paste.

Wash and pat dry the pork chops. Spread the marinade paste on the both sides of the meat and vacuum pack with butter in sous vide bags.

Cook meat in Sous Vide machine at 60C for 2.5 hours.

Remove from bags. Pat dry and sear the meat both sides in a very hot pan with some olive oil until brown, about a minute each.


Asparagus Bouquet
Place asparagus in a mixing bowl. Drizzle olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Toss.

Divide the asparagus into 4 bouquets of about 10-15 stalks each.

Wrap each bundle with a piece of bacon.

Bake in oven at 200C for 15 minutes. Alternatively, place bundles on hot grill and cover. Cook 10 to 12 minutes until bacon is crisp and asparagus bundles are tender.


Mushroom Risotto (Adapted from BBC Food)
Soak the porcini mushrooms in hot water for 10 minutes, then drain well. 

Heat the oil in a large, heavy based saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Fry over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add the chestnut mushrooms and fry for a further 2-3 minutes, until browned.

Stir in the rice and coat in the oil. Pour in the wine and simmer, stirring, until the liquid has been absorbed. Add a ladleful of the stock and simmer, stirring again, until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding the stock in this way, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is plump and tender.

Roughly chop the soaked porcini mushrooms and stir into the risotto, along with the parsley, butter and salt and pepper. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan.



Plating and Assembly

Divide risotto into 4 portions and scoop each portion into a large pasta plate.

Place the browned sous vide pork chop on the rice and topped with a bouquet of grilled asparagus.

Serve immediately.













52 comments:

  1. Wow I love the look of this dish! Your asparagus bouquet is so pretty. I think I haven't made risotto in a while, cos of all the stirring required to make a good one. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive indeed ! Even those bacon-wrapped asparagus look sensational :D Now , I'm hungry tsk tsk lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! I'm hungry looking at your pull-apart bread too! :D

      Delete
  3. I love the asparagus bouquet...looks pretty presentable and it is edible too. And everything on that dish looks very delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always liked the words "Sous Vide"; makes the food so tender. Love everything here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the asparagus bouquet is just too gorgeous, chef! bet wifey would've still said yes, had you proposed with with an asparagus bouquet! had she known you could cook like a pro ^^ with a diamond ring in tow, of cos! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Hui... In the end, it's still the diamond ring! :P

      Delete
  6. I'm impressed as usual...and you're very orderly in your ways too Chef!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! My wife always complains that I mess up the kitchen every time I cook. :D

      Delete
  7. Tis looked almost too pretty to eat haha. Love the combination, a gourmet meal as usual Chef!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My gosh you know how to engage us with your beautiful shot of pictures and presentation of the food! I love baby asparagus - so good. I'd roll up with bacon too but nice idea to put it on top of pork chop and risotto. I have to save your risotto recipe and give it a try. Looks really good. Do your friends want to dine at your home all the time? I would, if I live in the same city. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nami! I'm really flattered by the comment coming from the author of a published cookbook and a popular blog. :D

      Not too sure if they all want to dine at my place but I certainly love to share my creation with family and friends. :D

      Delete
  9. Hi Alvin,

    Your "once upon a time" is totally history now.

    Like you, I never cook when I was living in Singapore but cook almost everyday now...

    I see 9 big bunches of asparagus! ... and wonder if you were be cooking for a lot of people for a special occasion.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! There were 10 actually... Not really a special occasion but I have some time during the weekend for my hobby. :D

      Delete
  10. Bacon!!! And pork chop! Yummm!!! Drool! Drool! My daughter would love this too - she loves risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another restaurant standard dish, Alvin. That risotto looks really nice... I want to try make that. That is alot of asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich! I bought 3 bundles of the asparagus to make the 10 bouquets.

      Delete
  12. Alvin, another elegant meal! You know what? I figured out that if I seriously want to lose weight, I should go by your dainty portions. Make sense, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey PH! Did you realise that I increased the portion this time? Especially the risotto. Still not enough? :P

      Delete
  13. Few years ago, I had to look from shop to shop for the dried porcini & now, even the local supermarket is selling them. I like these dried porcini too but only cooked once or twice so far, haha! This is again another restaurant-look dish! I think I can have 2 plates of this risotto, no problem for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 plates? Are you sure, Jessie?

      Haha... You are another Phong Hong... LOL!

      Delete
  14. Hats off Chef! I'm impressed! Love this elegant entry, I'm totally admiring all your pictures! I think I might just make this for special occasions...nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bee! Don't wait for special occasions...There are just too many interesting dishes and recipes out there to experiment and share.

      Unless the ingredients are costly, I love to try new recipes or cook something nice for the family every week. Every weekend is a special occasion!

      Delete
  15. Your asparagus bundles are so gorgeous! They jump right out at me. You never cease to amaze me with your plating/presentation. If the description didn't reel me in, the pictures definitely did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! Yes, I know I'm not good with words. :D

      Delete
  16. This looks soooo amazing!!! I am totally impressed with your photography. I can't wait to try this. You are truly inspiring!! Keep up the hard work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I am more interested in those asparagus bouquets:D to me they are the centrepiece of this dish:D Of course, I wouldn't hesitate to enjoy that pork chop too if it were placed in front of me right now! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeannie. You can make the asparagus bundles without the rice or the pork chops. They are good on their own or as sides with other mains.

      Delete
  18. Bro, i don't have sous vide machine, how to cook this ler? Like your picture of a line of bacan wrapped with asparagus !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chi! Go get one... You will not regret! Alternatively, oven grill the pork chop but the texture will not be the same.

      Delete
  19. The mushroom risotto by itself is delicious enough as a meal but you really pull out all the stops! The pork chop looks really moist and I could wallop all the asparagus bouquets by myself :D If I don't have sous vide machine, can improvise or not? I'd like to tackle a pork chop by the super slow cooking method... but don't want to invest in sous vide machine, just yet. Btw - you very romantic, ah? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise! I did not have much success with pork chops until I got my sous vide machine. If not, substitute the pork chop with chicken thigh.

      Prices of SV machine have come down considerably... time to consider getting one? I always tell people that is my best investment in the kitchen!

      Me romantic? No way... according to my wife! :D

      Delete
  20. once upon a time, there lived a man with his sad piece of pork chop....needless to say, 'once upon a time' always ends with 'lived happily after' ... a happy man and a delicious pork chop :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... And the Chef and his pork chop live happily ever after!.. Haha... nice ending!

      Delete
  21. Can this be made with salmon? That would make my taste buds jump with joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Alvin, wah...so inviting and tempting... very scrumptious. I like how you dress up the asparagus with bacon sarong. Very neat and pretty, you sure got delicate hands to cook a storm of luscious meals. I don't mind to adopt a godson like you...... LOL

    Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG I must learn to do this!! however I fainted when I saw the ingredients. :( wonderful pictures. good job there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eiling! It's really not that difficult. Try it!

      Delete
  24. Mmmm my mouth is watering just reading this, let alone looking at the fabulous photos! What a wonderful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! What an lovely dish! Looks so inviting & yummilicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...