Friday, March 8, 2013

Australia Trip 2012 Part XI - Home Hill Winery, Tasmania




The light morning shower did not dampen our spirit as we hopped from stall to stall in the Salamanca weekend market. There were so many interesting items to see and buy from handicraft, books, fresh produce to food and wine. We had a great morning at the market and were all feeling hungry and wasted no time heading straight towards our lunch destination – Home Hill Winery.

Home to the multiple award winning Pinot Noir, Home Hill is a Tasmanian boutique vineyard, winery and restaurant located in the Huon Valley in Tasmania’s south. We were greeted by an outstanding modern building surrounded by vines as we drove into the car park.







The building housed the shop, tasting room and the restaurant and we really liked the modern, clean and lovely setting. Full height glass wall illuminated the dining area and provided the diners a stunning view of the green vines and blue sky.






For starters, we ordered a dozen of the freshly shucked Bruny Island oysters. The silky little shellfish were really super fresh, big and sweet. A perfect start to our lunch.




There was almost no repeat orders of the main courses as we attempted to sample almost all dishes listed on their menu.

Jazz had the grilled lamb chops served with  assorted season vegetables, pea puree and mint jelly. HM and Ashley had the pan seared salmon on tomato water, baby vegetables and herbs. Both dishes were slightly above mediocre standard. Nothing fantastic but what you would have expected for that price from such winery restaurant



KH ordered the poached duck breast served with assorted oranges, baby salad leaves, apple and balsamic reduction. I had a bite of the breast meat and was slightly disappointed. The meat was kind of dry and I would prefer a medium doneness.


Wife was adventurous enough to try the wallaby porterhouse, something which we would not be able to get in Singapore, I think. The ‘veal of kangaroo’ was served with pumpkin tart, wilted greens and pepperberry juice. The kangaroo meat had a mild delicate flavour and a tender texture.



I had the char grilled rib eye, which was interestingly served on a block of oak from an used wine barrel, with roasted mushroom, cherry tomato and potato. The bone in rib eye beef was nicely done -  pink from edge to edge with a nicely charred crust. I adored it.


For wine, we tried the 2012 Home Hill Sylvaner, 2010 Home Hill Landslide Pinot Noir and the award winning 2010 Home Hill Estate Pinot Noir.

No prize for guessing correctly which was my favourite. 

The Home Hill Estate Pinot Noir exhibits all the hallmarks of its cool climate origin - clear varietal expression, balance and long concentrated flavours.  I especially like the nose which is generous and pure with lashings of pure pinot fruit and an explosive, perfumed lift.  The palate is rounded with clean fruit intensity. 



All in all, from the green relaxing surrounding to the elegant dining room to the decent food and wine on the table, Home Hill winery and restaurant is definitely one of the best in Huon Valley. Worth a visit. 


Home Hill Winery & Restaurant

38 Nairn Street,  Ranelagh
Tasmania 7109
Australia

Tel (03) 6264 1200

Lunch Monday to Sunday: 12pm - 3pm Dinner Fridays and Saturdays: 6pm - late

Open 7 days for: Morning / Afternoon Tea and coffee

Open on all public holidays except Christmas Day and Good Friday.


28 comments:

  1. Hi Alvin
    The food you ordered indeed looking very delicious and really must be tasty too. It is good to be able to taste and explore something different in life. Hope I be able to visit Tasmania one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mel! Tasmania is a beautiful and relaxing island. I will definitely go back again.

      Delete
  2. So scenic there! I would love to sit there in the outdoors and enjoy the scenery. Your steak looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! I promise you more stunning sceneries in coming posts on this Tasmania trip! Amazing island!

      Delete
  3. Alvin, so nice of you to share with us your Tasmania family trip.. Beautifully maintained orchard!! Although they have a contemporary restaurant setting, the idea of serving your meal on a block of oak is very appealing and rustic! Truly enjoyed seeing what you've seen and tasted too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie! I'm glad that your had enjoyed the winery "tour". Do check out my earlier posts on this trip and I am still sorting out the pictures for posts on the rest of the trips. I hope I have more than 24 hours a day!

      Delete
  4. What a spectacular view! Those oysters look to DIE FOR, Chef! I hope you have a bangin' weekend, love!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! You are an oyster fan too?

      You have a fantastic weekend too!

      Delete
  5. Your photos are wonderful and they bring out my inherent Tasmanian Devil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was last there in December 1980 - when John Lennon was shot. Visited some, tasted the wines...I don't recall there being food then...or we did not get to eat any on our tours. My nephew in Perth got married in one - I think they cater for weddings too. Call me jaded, old-fashioned but I wouldn't want to be married in a winery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Arthur! I'm the opposite! I would love to get married in a vineyard! But that's impossible now! :D

      Maybe, I should consider doing one for our 20th anniversary!

      Delete
  7. Spectacular pictures! I'd love to try the kangaroo meat too :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alvin, as usual I love the green scenery! Too bad some of the the dishes did not live up to expectations. Your wife is adventurous, imagine eating kangaroo meat. I don't even dare eat rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm PH! That is very unlike you... I mean very unlike a rocker!

      Delete
  9. The vineyard looks gorgeous ! Imagine the rows of grapes before harvesting ? I bet it looks spectacular :D I'll just sigh and drool over those scrumptious dishes you've ordered eventhough some were not up to par lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! I would say overall the meal was quite alright.

      Delete
  10. sounds like the food was just so so for you..but they do look very delicious..maybe it was done thru your camera lens :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning! Alvin, this must be your most fav place to hang around! What a nice meal you had there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good night, Jessie! :D

      Yes, I love winery hopping and feel more connected to the wine if I visit the birthplace.

      Delete
  12. Good foods , nice wine , stunning view , you know where to enjoy huh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I seriously want to retire in wine country (here it'd be Napa or Sonoma) because I love the scenery and beautiful structures/buildings. My husband loves wine and he'll enjoy this place for food and wine, while I'm a light weight on alcohol so I'll focus on eating here. Lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nami! We love Napa and Sonoma too! The fond memories of our 2009 trip there still lingers...

      Delete
  14. Hi Alvin,
    Lovely place!
    Great clicks!
    Thanks for sharing!

    mui

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...