Monday, January 7, 2013

Sous-Vide Egg with Red Wine Sauce & Wild Mushroom Panzanella




The family, especially the kids, love Sous Vide Eggs. The perfectly cooked eggs have become regular items on our breakfast menu and starters on dining table whenever we wanted to add some class to our parties.

One of our favourite recipes is the perfect Sous Vide egg served with Mirin Sake Pork Belly. I have cooked this many times but last weekend I decided to try out one of the many interesting recipes by private Chef Stephane (aka Zen) whom I admired a lot for both his culinary and photography skills.

Zen's recipe was inspired by a typical Burgundian dish - Oeufs en meurette which is a combination of poached eggs, red wine sauce and lardon.

If you have a sous vide setup at home, this is a must-try. If not, you can replace the sous vide eggs with normal poach eggs.


Sous-Vide Egg with Red Wine Sauce & Wild Mushroom Panzanella
Adapted from Zen Can Cook

Ingredients
For the sous-vide eggs:
8 organic eggs

For the red wine sauce:
1/2 carrot, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorn
2 cups Burgundy red wine
1 cup veal or chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon flour
salt and pepper to taste

For the wild mushroom panzanella:
8 ounces chicken livers (optional)
1/2 lb assorted wild mushrooms, cleaned
a drop of cognac (optional)
1 crusty country bread
olive oil
good vinegar
butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
baby spinach leaves
salt and pepper to taste
chopped parsley

Directions
For the sous-vide eggs:
Preheat water bath to 147′F (64′C). When temperature is reached drop the whole eggs in the water and set the timer to 45 min.
When done, remove from the water bath. Let the eggs rest for 2 min. Crack the shell and slide the eggs onto the plates.

For the red wine sauce:
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat add a little oil, the carrots, onions, celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. 
Cook until the vegetables soften, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock, bring to a simmer, and reduce the liquid by 2/3 or until it coats the back of a spoon. 
Meanwhile, mix the soft butter and flour in a small bowl. Strain the sauce and season with salt and pepper and whisk in slowly the butter/ flour to thicken the sauce and give it a nice shiny look. Keep warm.

For the wild mushroom panzanella:
If using chicken liver, sautee them over high heat until cooked. Season generously with salt and pepper and deglaze the pan with Cognac. Chop roughly and set aside.
Cut the bread into large croutons, toss them with melted butter, salt and pepper ,and toast in a pan or oven until golden.
Sauteed the mushroom in olive oil and a touch of butter until cooked, season with salt and pepper, add the shallots and garlic until fragrant. Finish with parsley. Keep warm.
Dress the baby spinach with a olive oil and a little vinegar.Toss the mushrooms, croutons, chicken livers, vinegar and parsley  in a bowl. Season if necessary.

Plating:
Place 2 eggs on each plate. Garnish with spinach, wild mushroom panzanella, and the warm red wine sauce.




The Perfect Egg








30 comments:

  1. Hi, very exclusive meal. Look so mouth watering, I like the Sous-Vide egg. You're an excellent cook.

    Have a nice week ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... I love those pictures. Simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! But I still feel that the lighting is not bright enough.. some how.

      Delete
  3. So gourmet! I could just eat it off the photos :p Harvey Norman is selling the sv machine for about 4k, dont think i will be getting one anytime soon :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther! Get it from Singapore... I had given you the details.

      Delete
  4. Hi Alvin,
    If this plate is place before me, I feel life is full of satisfaction. Simply awesome; especially the sv egg. Loveit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I'm sure your life is already full of satisfaction!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! Takes some level of finesse to "crack the egg and slide the egg onto the plate" without breaking the yolk. I'm like Esther, freaked out over the price of the sous vide machine. Besides, there's barely any space on my counter top :) But who knows, where there's a will there's a way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hi PH! I know of people who use their slow or rice cooker as SV machines. What you need is a device that is connected to the power supply of your existing cooker. It senses the temperateture and cuts off the power when the desired temperature is reached and turns it on again when the temperature drops... like a thermostat. The techincal term is PID controller, I think.

      Do some research if you are really interested but do not want to burn a hole in the pocket.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful meal!!! All components are so gourmet and delicious...I'm really eyeing those mushrooms :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy! What about the chicken livers? They are yummy too, if you like innards.

      Delete
  7. The egg wow me.. :D
    runny and goey just the way I like it, and out of 10 attempts, I would get 2 that turned out right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Your 20% hit rate is not using the SV method? I have no problem with the eggs using my SVS. Normal poach method, yes... :)

      Delete
  8. The eggs really caught my attention and the sauce had me drooling! Perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie! You should get a SV machine for your new kitchen! :)

      Delete
  9. It's too darn pretty to eat ! And delicious as sin ! lol Gahhh Chicken livers *swoon* ;D Throw some of that over here , will you ?! Extra SV eggs and livers , por favor :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful dish and plating. Nothing can be more appetizing than eggs, especially perfectly cooked ones. It is the panzanella though that got me drooling. I love chicken livers and I think the mix of mushrooms, shallots and cognac plus that is to die for. I have to go now, this is just too much for me, Chef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another funny one, Adora. But you are right about the mushroom panzanella... that's a perfect side that goes well with lots of meat dishes.

      Delete
  11. Gosh...simple and yet very classy dish indeed Chef...impressive! I had Sous-Vide egg before but don't think I will be able to replicate it at home since I don't own a Sous-Vide setup. Mmm...pork belly or panzanella...dangerously appetizing! lol! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bee! Didn't realize that my work is becoming so dangerous! :)

      Delete
  12. wowee. seriously you should think of opening a fine-dining restaurant one day, maybe when you feel especially brave . the egg looks amazing, wonderfully golden and wobbly. I don't own a sous vide setup, can't warrant the cost of that slow-cooking esp for a simple thing like an egg, but your photos are making me want to try one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shu Han! How's your holidays?

      Starting a business? This topic has been discussed on many occasions... But passion and making a living are 2 different things... I do not want to kill my passion beacuse of that :)

      Small group dining on adhoc basis... maybe. Cheers!

      Delete
  13. Your sous vide egg is totally amazing! I was contemplating whether I shd get a sous vide machine but they're still pretty pricey in KL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! Thanks.

      Since you have so many invited reviews, why don't you ask the distributor in Malaysia to send you one for review?! Good idea?

      Delete
  14. I love so many things on that plate - especially the mushrooms, livers, bread and spinach. But...... the sous vide egg makes me nervous. I must be the only deviant here, dissing your beautiful handiwork :P I used to love soft boiled eggs as a kid, but stopped enjoying them when kampung eggs were no longer the norm and mass produced eggs starting tasting unpleasant to me. Maybe organic ones could charm me all over again...

    In spite of my eggy qualms, I must admit that is a beautiful dish, beautifully done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise! That's interesting.. I'm referring to your dislike for eggs.. Ya, free range eggs are the best!

      Delete
  15. Looks so delicious! Your meals always look like restaurant-class meals! So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce. I like food from road-side stalls and hawker centres too!

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...