Monday, January 21, 2013

Scallops with Spinach and Mushroom Gnocchi




Wife told me about this Gnocchi dish that she enjoyed very much during her corporate lunch this week and asked if I could replicate that for our Sunday dinner yesterday. I agreed and asked her to recall what the ingredients were. We had everything at home except the Gnocchi. Instead of making the petite potato pillows from scratch, I made a trip to Huber's and bought a packet of the ready-made Gnocchi.

Based on her description, it didn't sound too difficult to put this dish together. Nevertheless, I googled for a sauce recipe to go with the Scallops.

I was glad that she enjoyed my creation as much and commented that it was very close to what she had had. Personally, I like this well balanced and very versatile dish very much too. By adjusting the portion, this can be served as a starter or a main dish.

Simple, elegant and delicious - I would definitely cook this again.

Scallops with Spinach and Mushroom Gnocchi

Ingredients (Serves 4)
16 Large Scallops
200g Spinach Leaves (Blanched in salted water with olive oil)
200g Mushrooms (Cut into quarters)
250g Gnocchi (Blanched in salted water with olive oil & chilled in ice bath & drained)
1 clove garlic (Chopped)
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Beurre Blanc Sauce
1 shallot (Chopped)
1 Cup White Wine
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
120g unsalted Butter
Salt


Directions

Beurre Blanc Sauce
In a small pot over low heat, place 1 teaspoon of butter and the shallots and sweat for about 4-5 minutes. Add the wine and reduce by ½.

Add the cream and reduce by ½ again. Strain the mixture into mixing bowl and slowly add the butter to the wine-cream mixture until it is all incorporated. Season with salt. Keep warm and put aside.

In a cast iron pan or a heavy bottom saute pan, heat the pan until very hot. Season the scallops with salt and pepper.

Add plenty of oil in the pan and add the scallops.

Do not touch the scallops until a nice brown crust has formed.

Once a nice crust has developed, flip it over and add a tablespoon of butter.
Tilt the pan a littler and splash the scallops with the hot butter oil. Cook for another minute and remove it from the pan.

Place the scallops on a piece of paper towel to drain off the excess oil.

Pour away excess oil. In the same pan, saute the mushroom until soft and moist. Add a tablespoon of olive and saute the garlic without browning. Add the blanched gnocchi into the pan with mushroom and saute for another minute.

Divide and place the mushroom gnocchi in the centers of 4 big plates topped with the blanched spinach. Carefully place the seared scallops on top of the gnocchi and vegetable. 

Spoon the Beurre Blanc around the gnocchi and serve.









38 comments:

  1. What a lovely dish that is, Alvin. The scallops are so beautifully seared and all the other components of the dish does not digress from its delicateness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alvin,
    You must be pleased when your creation is much appreciated by your loved ones. Oh yes, the scallops are beautifully done and looking delicious too. I never knew we can get ready made gnocchi because I never had come across at our supermarket here.....guess if I want to indulge on this, I have to make from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! I'm sure you can get the packet gnocchi in some of the gourmet supermarket?! If not and you want to make this dish at home, let me know, I can send to you.

      Delete
    2. Hi Alvin
      You have a good gnocchi recipe? Are you going to make it and post it in the near future? If not, I be please if I can make this at home..... melsnkitchen@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. Hi Mel! I can send you a packet of gnocchi. :)

      Send me your mailing address - chefnsommelier@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Oooo...giant scallops! Yummmm!!! And mushrooms! My daughter would love those! Can't get fresh buttons here.

    Gosh! That looks so good - a whole lot nicer than what those self-professed chefs with years of experience here can come out with. Cooking is an art...so I guess the talent is inborn, like music & singing or painting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arthur! For some cooking is an inborn talent, for some it's acquired. For me, cooking is a hobby and a passion. I am learning and trying to improve all the time.

      Most importantly, I enjoy creating food that satisfies the mind, soul and the stomach of my loved ones.

      Delete
  4. i've tried gnocchi once and i quite like them. How nice you can get the ready ones there. Chef, can i request gnocchi with your creamy pumpkin sauce..vegetarian will do? oops..i'm not your wife! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Lena... Gnocchi in the creamy pumpkin sauce should taste good... maybe with some nuts.

      Delete
  5. Wow, this truly looks heavenly! Exactly the sort of dish I'd zero in on when looking at a top notch restaurant's menu. So wonderful you were able to recreate it in all its deliciousness at home. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy. You should try it at home too if this is your kind of dish. Not the tough at all.

      Delete
  6. OMG, I'm salivating with these Scallops! The Gnocchi reminds me of my recent trip to Perth. Such a lovely combination!

    Came over from Lizzy's blog. Glad to meet another S'porean blogger :) I'm following u now & would love to have u follow me too. Looking fwd to sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley! Thanks for dropping by my space. You have a new follower too! :)

      Delete
  7. Alvin, that is a beauty! The scallops are beautifully seared and all the other components complement each other so well. I have white wine stashed away somewhere and when I do get adventurous, I want to cook this dish too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PH! You can save the wine if you do not want the sauce. It's good enough own its own.

      Delete
  8. It sure is simple, elegant and delicious! I would love to have this as well. How nice that you create this for your wife, that's so sweet. I tried another brand of ready-made Gnocchi but didn't like it. Maybe I'll see if I can find the brand that you had. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Too bad I had thrown away the gnocchi packaging. I'll take note of the brand the next time I'm at the supermarket. Let you know then.

      Delete
  9. This looks mouth watering! Love the scallops and your photos are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *drools* what fabulous dinners you make at home! the scallops (esp in pix no. 4) are so enticing! your wife and kids are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I echo the "lucky wife" comment! Such a gourmet dish, wat more to be able to enjoy it at home and cooked by one's hubby - super nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther! You have a lucky hubby too! Haha...

      Delete
  12. Looks so mouth-watering! I have seen gnocchi being sold in special supermarkets that cater to expatriates. All I remember is the gnocchi are very costly!
    Your wife is so lucky, and you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! I'm not sure how much it costs in Msia, but it's not that costly here. I think I paid about $7 or $8 for the 500g packet.

      Thanks for the compliments!

      Delete
  13. Mmmm...sweet seared scallops with creamy gnocchi, perfection! I wish I can ask my hubs to cook this dish for me, lol! I think this is one of those dish that I would order off the menu.at a nice restaurant, nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Bee... I think lots of hubbies would not want their wives to read this post... haha!

      Delete
  14. I would definitely love this.... scallops my fav ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! Cook this for your hubby and 2 kids!

      Delete
  15. Hi Alvin , your dish looks sensational ! I'm sure it tastes as scrumptious as it looks and I bet way better than what the wife have eaten during her corporate lunch ?! :D I love scallops though I haven't tried cooking it yet :P

    Btw , your photos look scrumptious as well ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq, Tq, Tq Anne! I'm floating already... :)

      Delete
  16. my oh my...wonderful dish...
    love Gnocchi (but cant be bothered to make from scratch.. ;P) and scallops... *2 thumbs up* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Same here, too lazy to make the gnocchi from scratch... The packet that I bought was reasonably good!

      Delete
  17. Hi Alvin, awesome scallop. Yours look very professional like from 5 star restaurant. You're very innovative and creative. Excellent click!

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete

Share it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...