Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Australia Trip 2012 Part VI - Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley




It was our third and final day in Yarra Valley. After a wine-free day the day before, our objective for the day was very clear and focussed - Wine, wine and more wine.

Rochford winery was our first stop. A curved driveway lined with trees and vines led us to a modern restaurant, cellar door among the barrels, cafe and a broad outdoor space for chilling among the beautiful Yarra hills.

Right at the center of the building was a black spiral staircase and at the top of the staircase was an observation deck where you could relax, take a deep breath and savour the 360 degree vista. We spent quite some time at the deck taking pictures and admiring the green surrounding.

It was too early for lunch at the restaurant and we went straight to the cellar door for some wine tasting. The lady behind the counter was friendly to walk us through their series of wine. I was not sure it was really their wine or my palate had not opened up yet but I was not too excited with what I had tasted except for their Pinot Noir. Savoury oak with lifted spices and long finish. We were happy to walk away with a bottle.











24 comments:

  1. Used to love visiting the wineries when I was there in 1980. I've given up drinking so I guess that's out of my itinerary now. Beautiful place, beautiful photos nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arthur! You have given up drinking? What a shame... for health reason?

      Delete
  2. Love the scenic photos... definitely want to visit when I go to Australia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alvin,
    Beautiful scenic photos....... I love the last pic...looking at it as if I can breathe fresh air. So refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel.. Re the last photo.. it looks hot and sunny, isn't it? But it was quite a cold summer when we were there...

      Delete
  4. Love the shots! So pretty, esp the staircase and wine glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many cases of wine did you bring back home ?! lol Lovely shots ! Yarra Valley is such a wonderful place ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! I did not bring home many bottles for this trip... Just about 6 but we bought and drank along the way, we had 2-3 bottles in the hotel rooms/cottages most of the nights... The last trip to Barossa and McLaren Vale was a crazy one.. I brought home 40 over bottles!!

      Delete
  6. Alvin, if Auntie PH were there tasting wine, she would go "ehmmm..they all taste the same hor?" Hee..hee...I haven't a clue on wine tasting, I usually like the sweet tasting wines. I love your photography, some of the angles produced abstract shots. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Aunty PH! :)

      Most ladies like sweet wine... late harvest, muscat, moscato... actually I like it too...

      Delete
  7. I must visit this place too when I go to Australia. Those pictures are so well taken :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yen! If you are really interested, visit a few... let me know if you need more details about the region.

      Delete
  8. Hi Alvin,

    Did you spend 3 days at Yarra Valley? Geez... so many days? I love the views up from the stairs from Rochford winery... we are always there when we visit yarra valley.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! Yes, 3 days but we spent only 2 full days visiting the wineries. Envy you, Yarra Valley is, at max, an hour drive from where you stay?

      Delete
  9. could almost smell the country air :D
    beautiful photos :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't drink as much wine as I used to - my stomach has gotten more and more sensitive over the years. But it was still a pleasure to read about you wine adventure, and the photos, are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise! I'm sure you still have your occasional Singapore Sling?!

      Delete
  11. chef, that will be a moment of luxury for me sitting at the deck there, enjoying the view and drinking wine at the same time..and cold breeze..shiok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lena... It was quite a feeling at the deck.

      Delete
  12. I really like your pictures of the vinery. very well taken and love the colours too!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...