Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Homemade Nama Chocolate




Seriously, who does not like chocolate?

When I first saw this on Mel's blog, I was very excited that I would be able to make the Royce'-style Chocolate truffles at home! Mel got the recipe from Nami (Author of "Just one Cookbook"). Immediately, I bookmarked both posts as I planned to make this as Christmas gift for my friends in the office.

Nami recommended using good dark chocolate of 70% cocoa. I used dark couverture chocolate for its high cocoa butter content. Cocoa butter is a fat that is solid at room temperature (brittle when tempered) but put it in your mouth and it changes from hard to creamy in an instant. That silky, unctuous mouth feel that fine chocolates have? Cocoa butter is how you get it. Couverture is the most superior form of chocolate used in most, if not all, high-end fine chocolates. There is a saying - "Couverture is to chocolate as Rolex is to watches"!

It was quite a simple recipe especially the first steps of melting the dark chocolate in hot heavy cream and making the tray of chocolate firm in the fridge. The challenging part for me was the cutting of the firm chocolate into smaller blocks. Due to our weather, the hardened chocolate softened quickly at room temperature making it difficult to achieve clean, straight edges. I had to cut and dust the chocolate with cocoa powder in batches while keeping the remaining piece of the chocolate slab in the fridge.

I started the cutting at about 10pm last night. By the time I finished folding all the paper boxes, cutting the ribbons and the tracing paper and filling up each box with the chocolate, it was already 3am in the morning. I was totally exhausted but very satisfied with my first attempt at chocolate making.

Christmas comes early this year!... At least for my pals in the office.


Nama Chocolates
Also found in:
Mel's Through The Kitchen Door
Fern's To Food With Love
Hui's Butterfly Waltz

Ingredients
400 gram (14 oz) good quality dark chocolate (70% cacao), but you can also use semisweet for
less bitter taste.
200 ml fresh cream (heavy whipping cream)
Liqueur of your choice (optional)
Cocoa powder to coat the chocolate
The ratio of Cream (ml) and Chocolate (gram) should be 1:2.
(I used 1kg of the dark couverture chocolate with 500ml cream. The yield was 18 beautiful boxes, each containing 6 pieces of melt-in-the mouth Nama Chocolate blocks)

Instructions:
1. Cut the chocolate into smaller pieces using a knife so that they will melt faster and more
evenly.
2. Lay parchment paper (baking sheet) on baking pan or any square tray (about 8" x8"). Choosing
the right size tray is important as the height of chocolate is decided depending on how much
you pour.
3. Put cream in a saucepan and heat it up until it almost reaches a boil. Turn off the heat.
4. Add the chocolate and stir till the chocolate and cream are completely combined. Add liqueur
of your choice (optional).
5. Pour the mixture into the tray. Smooth the surface (which I forgot) and refrigerate until firm.
6. Remove the chocolate from baking tray and chop them into cubes using a warm knife. Make
sure to warm the knife after each cutting to prevent splintering. You can use hot running water
but wipe it off completely before cutting.
7. Sprinkle the cocoa powder and serve it chilled. You can keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days but
enjoy soon.


















51 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift for your coworkers! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alvin, looks fab! I wanna be your colleague too. Actually I just made this yesterday too, my kids were the first to try it since it was part of their advent calendar gift. I had a tough time cutting them nicely too, but man they taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! Of course Alvin looks fab! LOL

      Yes, the nama was awesome. I had some odd-shape "leftover" after packing the boxes. The kids wasted no time to finish them last night. :)

      Delete
    2. Alvin, wanted to share something with u. I put my nama chocolate in the freezer today (for more than 12 hours), so much easier to cut (almost clean edges). Despite being in the freezer, the texture is still very soft (Hubby says tastes much better). Might come in handy the next time u make these again.

      Delete
    3. Yen, Thanks for sharing this. Will try your method the next time I make this. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. 18 people in your office are going to get lucky...if you decide to give all the chocolate boxes away. They are just so dense, decadent and beautifully presented. These can't be matched by any store bought present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adora! Yes, I had given all of them away. In a way, they are priceless?! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Alvin,

    I'm very into chocolate nowadays...and hardly see any high-end chocolate selling in Singapore bakery supply shops and can only find the finest in Holland V. These really look exquisite! Your colleagues must very happy to receive such a luxurious gift from you.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! You are still getting your baking stuff from Singapore and not Melbourne?

      Thanks!!!

      Delete
    2. Hi Alvin,

      I love to shop and like buying things everywhere... Some things can't find in Melbourne, must buy from SG.

      Btw, all the cake pops were sold out but I can make more for your kids if you are visiting me at Melbourne :D My auntie and brother are arriving to visit us soon.

      Zoe

      Delete
    3. Huh, Zoe... I was just joking.

      But do drop me an email if you need me to bring anything from Singapore, as long as it's legal. :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Alvin,
    Oh wow wow wow, looking at the photos I am drooling ........ and feels like taking a piece out of it! Oh, I just loves this Nama Chocolate! So addicted and I am sure those who receive a box from you would eventually got addicted too! (hee...hee... whether its in good shape or odd shape, it just taste heavenly delicious!) Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! I knew you would be excited to see this post... :)

      Delete
  6. Alvin, I saw this on Mel's and also bookmarked it. Looks like to beat me to it, eh? Beautifully done and I love your packing. Hey, next time courier one box over to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey PH! By the time it reaches you, it will turn into some sticky-chewy chocolate sauce!

      Delete
  7. Oh it's me again here, just wanna say, I am sure you are going to make this again and again.. and since Christmas is coming ..hee...hee....go get more couverture chocolate...get 2kg this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I would love to but I'm going for my holiday soon... that was why I had to rush this out this week ... way before x'mas!

      2kg? That would be tiring... this needs time, effort and love to make... :)

      Delete
    2. oh.... Have a wonderful holiday! Take care whenever you are away from home. And Merry Christmas to you and to your family in advance if you are away during christmas time!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Mel! I'll be home for Christmas!

      Delete
  8. Saw this on Yen's photos and wondering what it was.( i am generally very behind times haha!) and here they are on your blog. Cn i be your colleague for one day? :p so thoughtful of you, i never had male colleagues making chocolates AND gift wrapped them for us...must be a singaporean men thing :pp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther! Ha.. I do not think it's a Singapoerean men thing... It's just moi! :)

      Delete
  9. wow.. your nama chocolates look amazing.. so nice and tidy, and beautifully presented too ^^ well done, alvin! i'd be blessed to be on the receiving end of such fine sweets ^^ bet you were thinking of an air-conditioned kitchen while cutting these chocs ^^ but aren't these the easiest(almost!) and yummiest sweets ever? ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hui! Welcome to my space and yes you read my mind about the aircon kitchen!!!

      I did not read your reply to my comment on your nama chocolate post before I started the cutting and dusting. I might have just added too much cocoa powder but so far no one is complaining.. :)

      It slipped my mind but I'm going to add a link to your yummy Nama Chocolate post.

      Delete
  10. Any box leftover for me? Hehehe ..a very presentable gift and who receive this gift , they are lucky !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry Sonia, I had given all away! Maybe next time? :)

      Delete
  11. Omg omg, these Nama chocolate truffles look devilishly good! Indeed like Royce! Looks like we don't have to folk out $15-20 bucks to enjoy quality chocs at home. :) lovely idea as Xmas gifts too! Love those gift boxes, totally chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bee! Yes yes! It's not just the cost... you always feel good receiving handmade gift!

      Let me know if you want the contact for the folding boxes.

      Delete
    2. Hello! Woah I love the presentations! Would you please pass along the contact for the folding boxes?

      Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Hi Priscilla! Check this out : http://www.santafavors.com/

      Delete
  12. I love the shots of all your chocolate buttons. This looks like it'd be a perfect velvety texture and I for one, would LOVE to receive a box for Christmas from Santa =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! Welcome to my space and Wow you have an amazing blog out there! The Squishy Monster has a new follower!

      Delete
  13. Your colleagues are very lucky indeed! I love Royce chocolates but they are so freaking expensive! Only can be enjoyed on special occasions:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie! Suggest you try this simple recipe in your new kitchen!

      Delete
  14. Hi Chef, I want 1 box, please or make it 2!! CHOCOLATEeeeee...I'll be the first in the queue if you announce you're giving away free homemade chocolate. LOL

    Look really really tempting and to die for, to live for.....mean while I just munch on my andes mint and dream about your delicious chocolate. :)

    Excellent click! 2 thumbs up for you.
    Have a great day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia! Thanks for the candid comment! You have a great day too.

      Delete
  15. OMG these are perfect as xmas gifts. Since I still have so much of Valrhona cooking chocolate, I should be making these!!! Thanks for sharing the love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob, Eiling!

      Ok, now we have a Chocolate expert here! You work for Valrhona?

      Delete
    2. Haha... I'm no expert, just passionate about chocolates. I love their chocolate since I first came across them in Singapore years ago. Well the brand used to be distributed under the company I work for until last year and I do give trainings on how to promote them in the duty free outlets at the airports.

      Delete
    3. Cool! I know who to look for when I have question on Chocolate going forward... :)

      Delete
  16. They look indeed like Royce ! I've tried chocolates from Royce before but the price makes me hyperventilate ?! lol I bet these homemade gorgeousness tastes way better ?! Even the box looks elegant :D Lucky colleagues !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! I would not dare say they taste better than Royce' Chocolate but definitely good enough. You should try making them!

      Delete
  17. that would be so nice if someone makes these, they really look good! nice packaging too..i know all these have been given away. i wish i have a nose that can sniff where are these chocs now and i'll fly over and pick up one box ..oh, of course i return to my nest :D Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oops..if someone makes these for me..i mean.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG... you had me at Chocolate :D
    Lucky lucky co-workers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Lisa... Who doesn't like chocolate?!! :)

      Delete
  20. They look yummilicious :) May I know where you got the dark couverture chocolate from?

    -Sherry-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry! There are many places that you can get the chocolate - Shermay's Cooking School, SinLik Trading, Phoon Huat etc...

      Let me know if you still have problem getting them.

      Delete
  21. How long can these stay fresh? What if I make these on Saturday and give them to my friends on Monday?

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...