Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Turkey Flat Pedro Ximénez




We visited Turkey Flat Vineyards at Barossa in 2010 when we did the South Australia wine tour. I remember it was the last cellar door on our itinerary for the day and the sky was turning dark. We managed to reach the restored bluestone butcher's shop house cellar door just before they closed. The lady at the cellar door was packing up when we stepped in. Nevertheless, she was very friendly and guided us through the tasting session. 

One of the wine that we really liked during the tasting was their fortified Pedro Ximénez. It is a sweet dessert wine and has this intense marmalade aromas with some sweet spice and dried figs. The palate is lusciously rich with some pure marmalade and dried figs and raisins characters, very long, sweet and rich finish but with a good freshness.

CJ and Jazz brought this to the private luncheon which we hosted them 2 weeks ago and we had a very very sweet ending.

Vintage:  NV
Producer:  Turkey Flat Vineyards
Varietal: Pedro Ximénez
Country: Australia
Region: South Australia
Sub-Region: Barossa
Type: Fortified Dessert Wine
















14 comments:

  1. Hmmm...never heard of this winery, must be one of this smaller boutique ones. I am no wine connoisseur, but i like dessert wine, infact all late pick range is yummy! Tis one sounds nice...would it be commonly available in bottle shops here do you know? Have you tried Brown Brothers Orange Muscat? Its beautiful. One of my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so positive about getting this Pedro Ximenez from your local wine retail shops but you should be able to get their Shiraz.

      Brown Brothers orange muscat is nice and easy to drink - very floral and honey sweet and it's easily available too. If you like sweet ending, another dessert wine that I would recommend is D'Arenberg Noble Mud Pie. Lots of tropical fruits on the nose, rich and creamy. Check it out and let me know if you like it. Hopefully it is available over your side. If not, come over and I will open one for you! :)

      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Your description of this dessert wine is sure making me thirsty! It must be quite an exclusive wine and I may not be able to get it here. Hey, there is a wine shop within my office vicinity. I went there once before CNY to get wine for family members. I felt so lost in there (as usual I check out the bottle shape hee..hee...) but the boss was very knowledgeable and helpful. I should get adventurous and seek out those wines that you have reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PH! Thanks for the comments and I'm glad that you like the wine I put up here (at least from the description and photos).

      Try them if you can get them from your regular wine shops. I share only wine that I had tasted and enjoyed here. But as I said earlier, it is still down to your personal preference, nose and palate.

      Delete
  3. That's a very nice wine bottle. I like the color of the wine too. I'm lousy when it comes to tasting the notes and stuff of the wines, but u seem very knowledgeable abt them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! Actually the colour was not so dark when we bought it. It was golden amber but it darkens over time.

      As long as you could tell what you like and dislike, it's good enough!

      Delete
  4. Very timely for thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lea! How's thanksgiving in the Philippines?

      Delete
  5. That looks like a very good bottle of wine that I can enjoy, I like sweet wine very much:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie! Most ladies I know like sweet wine... :)

      Delete
  6. The way you describe the wine, sounds really good! I know next to nothing about wine. What I know is, when I have a sip, either I like it or I don't. I don't mind having some wine now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sold but where can I get it here? I am coming over to taste yours:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi QP! Come come... maybe the Msia food bloggers should organize a Tour de Singapura... That will be fun!

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...