Saturday, November 17, 2012

Popiah - Fresh Spring Roll




I am Hokkien and one of my favourite Hokkien dishes is Popiah. I am sure most, if not all, of my Asian readers know what Popiah is. For the benefit of the others, Popiah is a kind of fresh spring rolls filled mainly with vegetables (like turnip, carrot, cabbage, french beans etc) and other ingredients like eggs, prawns, chinese sausages.

I love Popiah not just because it is delicious and healthy but also because Popiah (or it's making process) promotes family ties and bonding.

I like the warm feeling when every family member comes together during the preparation and making of the spring rolls during a popiah session. It is not difficult to make but the cutting and shredding of the vegetables and ingredients can be quite tedious and tiring. As such, the work is usually distributed among the family members including the kids and this is when the fun begins.

After all the ingredients and fillings are cooked and layout on the dining table, everyone will gather around the table and start the DIY Popiah wrapping according to his own preference - with/without chili, more/less bean sprout etc etc. I really enjoy the energy and excitement in the house whenever we have Popiah sessions. It is a lot of work but definitely rewarding.


Ingredients (Make about 35 rolls)

1kg Popiah Skin

Vegetable Fillings
2 tbsp cooking oil
4-5 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
5 carrots (Skinned and shred)
1 cabbage (Cut into thin slices)
4 turnips (Skinned and shred)
500g french beans (Cut into thin slices)
4 big bean curd
6 tbsp bean paste
Salt


500g bean sprouts
10 eggs
1kg prawns
5 chinese sausages
Coriander
Lettuce Leaves

Sweet Sauce
Chili paste
Ground peanut
Dried Sole Fish (Deep fried until brown and crispy, grind into powder)

Procedures

Remove the heads and ends of the bean sprouts. Blanch in boiling water. Put aside.

Hard boil the eggs. Remove shell and slice.

Cook prawns in boiling water. Remove shell and slice into thinner pieces. Keep the water.

Boil the chinese sausage. Remove skin and slice thinly.

Cut bean curds into smalle pieces. Heat wok and fry but do not brown the sides.

*Suggest that the vegetable be stir fried in 2 batches due to the big portion:
Heat oil using the same wok. Stir fry chopped garlic. Add all the sliced/cut vegetables and fry for couple of minutes. Add bean paste and bean curd. Fry for another minute.

Transfer the mixed vegetable into a large pot. Add prawn water and simmer over medium heat until vegetable is fully cooked. Add salt to taste.

To assemble, brush sweet sauce and/or chili sauce on popiah skin.

Add bean sprouts, egg slices, prawn, chinese sausage and coriander. It is really up to you what to add and how much to add.

Spoon 2 big spoonful of the mixed vegetable on top of the ingredients. Remember to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. The wet filling will make wrapping difficult and skin will tear easily.

Top with ground peanuts and the ground sole fish. Add fresh lettuce leaves.

Fold the skin from the bottom and then the 2 sides. Roll it up. (See step-by-step picture)



































42 comments:

  1. Oh my... how lucky are those who get to have a bite of those! You take photos from your own kitchen? It's really fancy I love it! I will have a reason to visit Singapore... to go to your restaurant when you open it. Good food as always. And it is nice that you always incorporate your family in your cooking posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea!

      Yes, where else but my kitchen? Looking forward to your visit to the Lion City!

      Delete
  2. oh, your popiah look so tempting and good! i quite often make popiah too, since i can easily buy fresh popiah skin near my house..Love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia! I am very particular with the skin used for popiah. It must be fresh and soft. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. My oh my, what a beautiful, colourful, yummy post today. I loves popiah...oh wish I am invited tonjoin in the fun of wrapping the popiah. Your popiah has sooooooo many ingredients....eventhough it is just popiah, I am drooling looking at all ingredients. I likes your today post... making popiah at home as well as strengthening family ties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alvin, your popiah is so awesome... chock full of ingredients! When my kids are older, I'm gonna sit them down and make these together too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yen! Yes, you should. How old are your 2 kids? My youngest is 4 and he is already a good helper with the bean sprouts!

      Delete
  5. OMG I love Popiah too. Love the idea of brushing sauce onto skin first, never thought of doing it that way .

    Your photos are amazing, thanks for this post. Fabulous.

    BTW Come check out The Monthly Blogger event over at The Spanish Wok, ALL bloggers are welcome. See here for details and current theme. You are also welcome to visit our FB page too here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Will check out your blogger event.

      Delete
  6. Your popiah's the best I've seen so far ! It's bursting with all those yummy bits and pieces that makes my mouth water ! lol And the photos ?! Really fabulous ! .... Love the family bonding session over beansprouts :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love the photos! Alvin you have a good eye for picture composition, need to learn from you. I am gonna scroll back and stare/study/dissect the photos :p did you stand on a ladder to take the photos of the girls shelling the beansprouts?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esther! I consider myself an amateur as far as photography is concerned. I just like to snap and experiment especially food and human facial expression - when they are not looking at the camera ;) .

      I stood on chair - the same one the kids were sitting on.

      Delete
  8. Wow, your popiah looks very delicious! So much "liao"! Sometimes during a big family gathering, we will make popiah and everyone will be having fun wrapping their own and there will be different shapes and sizes of popiah! It is fun and always brings lots of laughter! I wish that I could bite into that popiah of yours! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce! Agree with you that popiah session is a good idea for family gathering especially big ones. It is not just the food but the interaction and fun during the assembly and wrapping process.

      Delete
  9. Beautifully done! So nice to make these as a family...definitely worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks SO DELICIOUS! I don't think anything can compare to your popiah. It is very similar to the Filipino lumpia save for a few ingredients. It has fried fish? No wonder it tastes so good. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adora! Would like to try the Filipino Lumpia one day.

      It's actually some kind of dried fish. You just have to fry it until very crispy and crush it. Very tasty and versatile. Will add a pic of the dried fish in my post.

      Delete
  11. This is the type of popiah that I love! I prefer the fresh skin and not fried. Making the filling is a lot of work but so worth it. Your popiah looks great and I love looking at the beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alvin,

    I'm a big fan of popiah but I must admit preparing the long list of ingredients can be very tiring. Nice that you have lots of helpers to help you with this cooking.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zoe! You have a few little helpers at home too!

      Delete
  13. These are beautiful. I love all the ingredients in them and how fresh they look. I know they taste great. Thank you for sharing this recipe, I'll be sure to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for visiting my blog so that I could discover your blog (must thank Mel! :)). I heard about Popiah but never had tasted it before. You take such amazing food photography and I really enjoyed browsing your site! This looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nami! Thanks for visiting mine too! You should try this... Tastes as good as it looks.

      Delete
  15. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. Love the photos, especially since I'm a big fan of popiah. I could eat a few of them in one go, and now you've got me craving for some! Love the addition of the crispy fish too. Looks like you've got quite a few helpers to pluck taugeh! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fern! So you are a Hokkien too?

      Welcome! Welcome!

      Delete
  16. Yum! Yum! Yum! This is my favorite and they are getting expensive these days! Lots of work but worth the effort! I must search for fresh popiah skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie! Yes, fresh skin is the way to go!

      Delete
  17. I LOVE POPIAH PARTIES! love the whole act of foldingyour own popiah, and I can get very carried away eating these rolls (well at least it's veggie right.. healthy sort of?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they are healthy (take away the sausage... )

      I need at least 5 of these rolls at one go.

      Delete
  18. Wow, your popiah looks soooo yummy. I haven't had popiah in a long time. Looking at yours made me crave for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veron. Get the family together and have fun with Popiah party!

      Delete
  19. Hi, your popiah look extremely good, so much ingredients. This for sure I need 4 pieces, nothing less than that. LOL

    Thanks for sharing, love your food pictures, very well taken.
    Have a great day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, wow you are a big eater! HaHa..

      Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  20. Making popiah is definitely one of a family bonding time.. nicely wrapped!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Look amazing! I love popiah and I think it's definitely one of those dishes that are invented for sharing in a party to liven the mood. But living in London means the luxury of ready bought popiah skins are impossible.I had to resort to making my own which took a fair bit of experimenting to get it right and confident enough to put the recipe on my blog. Haha!

    Btw, stumbled upon your blog by accident, love you photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jason! Thanks for dropping by and I love your blog and your +65 supper club! A great and yummy idea!

      You have a new follower!

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...