Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Kay Brothers Hillside Shiraz Vertical Tasting




Last Saturday, the wine kakis gathered at 1ETL (maybe for the last time?) to give CJ and Jazz a farewell party. We presented to them a DVD video and a photobook collection of pictures that were taken during our various wine sessions, potluck parties, birthday celebrations, getaways and holidays, vineyards hopping and fine dinners etc. Basically, a collection of sweet memories for the Yap family to bring along with them to Canada.

After dinner, the group had a vertical tasting of the Kay Brothers Hillside Shiraz. A vertical wine tasting is conducted by tasting the same varietal of wines from the same winemaker and the same vineyard and leaving the vintage or the production year as the only variable. This allows the party to see how dramatic or subtle a wine changes from year to year.

During our last visit to McLaren Vale, South Australia, I brought back 3 vintages of the Kay Brothers Hillside Shiraz – 2004, 2005 and 2006. CJ had kept a bottle of 2003 for some time now and Alan managed to get a 2008 (although a 2007 would be perfect) for the vertical session.

This was our first vertical wine tasting session as a group and we had fun tasting and discussing the changing style and composition of the Shiraz from 2003 to 2008. I printed the winemaker’s tasting notes for the various vintages for the group to read and understand the different harvest and vintages better while we put our noses and palates to test through the interesting wine journey before we each picked our favourite vintage.

It was the oldest and more complex 2003 that got my vote but there were different opinions. It just shows that wine is something very personal and the most important thing is to trust your own nose and palate.

Glad that we finally had this vertical tasting session before CJ and Jazz left, this was something that we had wanted to do together for a while now. A very interesting and enjoyable vertical session and we all managed to stand vertical after that. :)

Another sweet memory.















14 comments:

  1. Hi Alvin
    I may not know much about wine....but I have enjoyed viewing your post photos here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, Thank you for reading almost every post of mine and providing your feedback. I really appreciate that and glad that you had enjoyed (at least the photos). :)

      Delete
  2. Love the wine snob quote, and what a great tasting session!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alessandra! BTW, I do not consider myself a wine snob! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Hah! Hah! "and we all managed to stand vertical after that". Alvin, ever since I went through a detox (not for alcohol addiction mind you)I am unable to tolerate alcohol as well as I did previously. Just a glass of wine and I feel dizzy, so I make sure I drink on a full stomach to slow down the absorption. But I still drink during family gatherings, just in small amounts. So if I go for wine tasting, there better be a stretcher on standby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PH, no problem. I will prepare the stretcher when we have a chance to drink together. haha.

      Delete
  4. Hi, thanks for sharing your excellent pictures. I love red wine but I'm not a drinker. LOL My preference is Merlot from Bordeaux. I do had some wine and liquor collections. Nothing to do, I enjoy sipping a little or while surfing the net. Another favorite is Baileys Irish Cream. Sound like a drinker, huh!! LOL

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many comparison between Bordeaux and Burgundy and it's all personal preference at the end of the day.

      I'm making chocolate to give away as x'mas presents this weekend and I'm thinking of adding Baileys into it. Tempting? :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Chef, howdy? I have heard about Ding Tai Fung and I am very, very eager to try it but I didn't get a chance to visit the place. But I must say I am enjoying my stay in Asia. Changi Airport is awesome.

    I've tried a lot of wines in Italy but only you made me appreciate wines more. You have a lucky household who regularly taste the food that you cook, too. How I wish I can cook as fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lea! I'm fine, Thanks!

      So you had stopped over Singapore? Let me know if you need some food recommendation.

      I'm glad that you like my posts on wine. Thanks and I'm sure you can cook if you put your mind and soul into it. Remember the quote from the film Ratatouille? - Anyone can cook... but only the fearless can be great!

      Delete
  6. I think my Hubby would have liked to be part of your wine tasting! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen, sure.. drop me a note when you and hubby are in Singapore. We can have a session together. :)

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...