Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Individual Bread and Butter Pudding




The kids were requesting me to make Creme Brulee again for the private luncheon that we hosted last Sunday for CJ and Jazz. I told them I would make the British version of Creme Brulee - Bread and Butter Pudding.

Like Creme Brulee, Bread and Butter pudding is one of those classic favourite desserts. Traditional recipes use stale bread but I like to use fresh croissant. Fresh because croissants do not stand a chance at all of becoming stale in our family (Everyone loves croissants) and croissants because all the delicious elements of  buttery, flaky and slightly crispy croissants will be passed to this wonderful dessert.

Between the two, studies have shown that most men like Bread and Butter pudding while the ladies prefer the more contemporary Creme Brulee. I love both! What about you?


Ingredients (Serves 10)

700 ml milk
140 grams sugar
6 big eggs (Beaten)
5 croissants
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
Melted clarified butter
Raisins and/or nuts of your choice

Procedures

Tear the croissants into pieces. Divide and put them in 10 ramekins. 

Brush the croissants with the clarified butter and top with raisins (I skip the nuts).

Heat milk until half-boiled. Add sugar and vanilla essence. Pour the warm milk over the eggs and continue beating until all the milk is added. 

Strain the egg mixture equally into the ramekins and evenly over the bread until all the liquid is added. Press the bread down into the custard and set it aside for about 20 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the custard.

Preheat the oven to 180°C.

Set the ramekins inside a larger baking pan. Pour about 1 inch of hot water into the larger baking pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top becomes golden brown and the custard set.

Serve while hot.










26 comments:

  1. Oh wow, wow, wow...... using croissant instead of the white bread. This is indeed making me ..... staring, looking, and drooling here but unfortunately I can't taste it. This is called very cruel ....and torturing!! I can't see anymore of this.. bye... goodnite.. click...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....I'm here again....to answer your question....I like bread and butter pudding... I'm drooling ....because I just loves dessert lots and lots.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you should try this recipe which was given to me by a Hotel pastry chef.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alvin,

    I guess I would be odd population of the studies that you have mentioned. I like bread and butter pudding but definitely not a fan of creme brulee at all. I love to eat my bread and butter pudding with lots of vanilla custard and also stewed apples :D

    Recipe by a hotel pastry chef? He must be very nice to you giving his secret recipe away...

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! Yes, I think the studies that I had read were not totally correct after all.

      There are many variations to the pudding. You can use banana, prunes, mangoes and even durian.. anything that you can think of and like...

      The chef just scribbled down on a piece of rough paper which I have been keeping until now.

      Delete
  4. Bread and butter puds for sure ! But will eat creme brulée if it's available :D Love your pudding using croissant , the combination of flavor and texture must be awesome ! Will bookmark this recipe and must buy some croissant especially for this ! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, you have a sweet tooth! :)

      But seriously, no many can resist B&B pudding. I'm sure you will like this recipe. It's a keeper.

      Delete
  5. Our family loves bread and butter pudding! Never thought of using croissant before.... buttery bread and butter pudding! Woohooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! Make this for your two little cuties... they will love it.

      Delete
  6. that looks amazing!!! not something to eat every day but a nice treat! btw love your blogger layout! how did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! I am using the standard template provided by Blogger and added a few really useful widgets. Just click on the link of those gadgets that you would like to add to your blog. Let me know if you need more help.

      Delete
  7. Those are just so beautiful and just the way I like them: with more custard than bread. Love ALL the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. always a good idea to make things in individual options, I love things when they are in mini portions, just makes everythign feel more personal (and less tendency to overeat eh hem). nice step-by-step photos btw, they almost look like a wallpaper when they're lined up together. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shu Han! How's your dissertation going?

      Delete
  9. Eh, that's simple enough for me to handle! Quite a good practical dessert for a family gathering. I bet it smells fantastic out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey PH! Where have you been lately?

      Yes, this is simple and good.

      Delete
  10. Hi, am a novice cook here. Love the recipes on your blog.

    What is melted clarified butter? How is it different from normal unsalted butter?

    The steps look easy enough for me to attempt! Thanks for the great recipe?

    cheerios

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome to my blog.

      Clarified butter is melted unsalted butter with the milk part and water removed. Just melt unsalted butter over low heat and it will break down into 3 layers. The top white foam layer and the bottom milk layer should be removed. The middle golden-yellow layer is the calrified butter.

      Do a google and you will get more information and steps on how to make it.

      Delete
  11. SIngapore is a nice place and with a great chef like you residing there, it would certainly be an even much better one. The recipe is awesome and the photos are great. THank you for generously sharing your recipes and cooking endeavors. You should host a cooking show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea, you are too generous with your praises. I'm humbled.

      Enjoy your holidays in the Philippines.

      Delete
  12. the number of comments just show how gorgeous this post is! Using fresh croissant is brilliant. Now i can't wait to try this..btw i have never liked bread and butter pudding, maybe i just havent try a good one yet...the ones i have had are always soggy and look downright depressing :P creme brulee, oo yes. but gotta watch the waistline. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther! You must try this... forget about the waistline at least for this... just need to work doubly hard in the gym the next day. :)

      Btw, last week after cooking the spare ribs with yam using your recipe, I had a big portion of yam left and I made them into "Or Nee" (Yam paste) dessert. Will share that next time as it was an experiment for me (no pics) and I did not expect it to turn out so well.

      Delete
  13. Immediate bookmarked, love this! because got my favourite crossant,hehehe..must make this soon.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...