Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dong Po Stewed Pork Belly Part II




The Dong Po Pork Belly that I cooked previously was very well received. I decided to cook this again today for CJ and Jazz's private farewell luncheon. This time round, I decided to change the plating style and I had great fun assembling and "painting" this picture...

Sous vide some carrots with butter, salt and pepper at 85C for an hour and blend it into carrot puree with a food processor.

Spoon the carrot puree and spread it across the center of the serving plate.

Drop some randomly placed dots of the braised pork gravy around the puree. I then garnish the plate with the herbs (rosemary, thymes and dill) that I plucked from my herb garden, placing the leaves like they are growing from the drops of gravy.

Place fried shallots slices randomly and sprinkle Japanese chili powder around.

Finally, place a piece of the Dong Po pork belly on the bed of carrot puree and serve immediately.

I really enjoyed myself putting this together and hope you like it too.








12 comments:

  1. One word : WOW ! That pork belly itself looks fantastically yummy and plated like that makes it more elegant ! That carrot purée makes a pretty base and I love the fresh herbs sprouting from that drops of gravy :D Two thumbs up !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! The carrot puree not only makes a pretty base, it tastes very sweet and yummy too. The sous vide process in the vacuum sealed bag traps the sweetness within the carrot.

      I love the herbs too. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Chef,
    I am not bluffing...indeed when i just look at that piece of pork belly...my mouth start to drool.. and what is called mouthwatering! Beautiful presentation! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, Thanks for your support all this while.

      Delete
  3. gorgeous! i think its time to start your own asian fusion fine dining restaurant :) will look up your dong po recipe, been meaning to try making it for a long time. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther, cooking for interest/hobby and making a living is very different. For now, I am contented to focus on cooking for family and friends.

      Delete
  4. Very artistic plating! Elegance personified! Alvin, dong-po stewed pork has been elevated to fine dining status :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PH! But I know the portion is definitely not enough for you.. :)

      Delete
  5. Do us poor souls a favour and start a restaurant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PY, how are you?

      Would you like to invest? :)

      Delete
  6. Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be

    ok. I'm definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.


    Also visit my website; scorpimen.eu
    Here is my website flats for rent

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...