Monday, October 29, 2012

Barbecue Pineapple Pork Belly Ribs






This recipe has been a family favourite but I have not been cooking this for a while now. Wife suggested that I cook this again for our Sunday dinner and all the kids seconded that. I have forgotten when I started cooking belly ribs this way but it was through trial and error before I settled for this finger-licking good version. 

Pork belly ribs is a thick cut of the pork ribs with thin layers of fats between the meat. The fat layers keep the cooked ribs tender and juicy. Slow cooking the ribs in pineapple and banana blend provides the sweetness and soften the meat. The final step of grilling the ribs in BBQ sauce gives the meat a charred, smoked and caramelized finish.

Ingredients

2 kg pork belly ribs
2 cans pineapple slices
1 banana
1 cup water
BBQ sauce
Salt and Pepper
Olive oil

Procedures

Rub salt and pepper over the ribs and put aside for at least 30 minutes.

Blend pineapple (with the syrup) and banana using a food processor. Add cup of water to the mixture and bring to boil in a pot big enough for all the ribs.

Meanwhile, heat up a grill pan with some olive oil and brown the ribs on all sides.

Transfer the ribs into the boiling mixture and cook over small-medium heat for an hour. (I usually cook for 1.5hrs for a softer texture)

Remove ribs and brush BBQ sauce over.

Grill the ribs in pre-heated oven at 200 degree C for 5 min on each side. (Longer if you want it to be more charred). **

Serve with fresh salad greens or any sides.


** This time, I used a blow torch to sear the ribs instead of grilling in the over. It saved time and gave an even char to the ribs.















The succulent ribs are delicate in flavour which could be masked by huge, full-bodied wine. I chose to pair the ribs with the medium-bodied and yet hearty Pinot Noir wine from Moss Wood.

Tasting notes from the wine maker:


Colour and condition: Deep ruby hue, in bright condition.

Nose: Lifted aromas of tar,spice, cherries and red jubes. The oak notes integrate seamlessly with the fruit characters.

Palate: A fruit bomb of rich and integrated flavours of cherry, spice, charry oak and silky finesse on the finish. The flavours pop and linger in the mouth long after the wine has left it.






18 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delicious! Thoroughly enjoy reading your blogs and view your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I put words to comment, I am trying imagining myself putting a piece into my mouth and "trying" out the taste of the meat. Hmm..... very tasty with pineapple juice seaping into the meat, right? Using the torch really cut the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Mel.. I am imagining your imagination...

      Delete
  3. Banana? That's something new to me, using banana as part of the ingredient. Sounds and looks good. I will try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PH, banana was not in the earlier version of this recipe. While cooking previously, my Filipino helper told me that they cook ribs with banana in her hometown and I thought why not give it a try... And it turned out well.

      Delete
  4. yea, I'm echoing PH's surprise - banana? but no matter. Simple enough recipe abd looks utterly delectable, fabulous photos as usual :) thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther! Thanks for the kind words.

      I'm using your Spare ribs with Yam recipe for our weekday dinner now... :) Thumbs up.

      Delete
  5. pineapple? yes. banana? wow that's a first. the photos are utterly convincing though, so I may just give this a go when I do a huge dinner next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow.. You'll need a big pot to cook this for a big party if the ribs were to be served as main courses... alternatively, chop ribs to smaller pieces - as starters or Tapas.

      Delete
  6. No wonder your family love this dish ! I'll surely would If only I can taste that ! lol Pineapple and banana together sounds interesting .... From such simple ingredients , your dish sure looks scrumptious ! ... The blow torch idea sounds great ..... And your simple plating looks fantastic !

    By the way , I've bookmarked your recipe ! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually banana is optional. The ribs taste equally good with the pineapple alone. I added banana as suggested by my Filipino helper..... Is banana with ribs a popular Filipino dish?

      Delete
  7. I know putting pineapple into ribs but first time here of putting banana,,sound so interesting ..Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia... give it a try... u will love it.

      Delete
  8. Looks like everyone's just as surprised by the banana in this recipe as I am. I've read in blogs the Filipinos have bottled banana ketchup which they use in their cooking. Haven't seen it anywhere here tho. I'm imagining how good this must be with the ribs. I really must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ping! With or without the banana, I say you must give it a go. My colleague tried it last weekend after reading this post and gave me her two thumbs up.

      Delete
  9. Hi there, discovered your blog via Esther. Really great photos and recipes, I am your new follower now ;)

    Our family loves ribs, so we will definitely be trying this recipe too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! Welcome to my little space and thank you for followng my blog.

      We have common interests - food and photography. I have joined your site too. Looking forward to sharing tips on food and phtography with you.

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...