Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Art of Food Plating





Food plating is a very important part of the overall dining experience. It provides the all important first impression and sets the stage for the sensory experience of enjoying a great meal.

I enjoy and derive a lot of satisfaction from the visual simulation of plating the food that I have cooked, in that dramatic moment when an artfully arranged plate is set before my family and guest. It is like an artist putting the finishing touches on his painting.

However, this is also an area, that I felt, I needed to improve on. With this in mind, I searched the web and ordered this book "Working the Plate" by Christopher Styler from Amazon. I received the book last week and took no time to go through every page and every picture.

In this book, Christopher  shares the secret of seven contemporary plating styles: The Minimalist, The Architect, The Artist, Contemporary European Style, Asian Influences, The Naturalist and Dramatic Flair. The book includes several examples of each of these styles with photographs of both the finished plates and the steps involved to duplicate the techniques behind.

I hope to apply some of these techniques in my future work and share with you all here. Stay tuned.



9 comments:

  1. So much to learn about food on the plate, and plate to the table, isn't it? I shall stay tune so I can learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, learning is an endless process. I have much to learn from you too.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, Chef! The impression counts. Sometimes the dish is even so excellently presented I don't want to touch it. I was like "Let me enjoy its look first before I eat it" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visual simulation and taste ?! :D That dish looks too pretty to eat ?! I couldn't agree more ! Can't wait what you're going to come up with :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited too but i'm really tied up with work lately. Let's see.

      Delete
  4. This is an area of interest for me too. I love to observe what other bloggers do when plating their dish. And I must say that you are pretty good at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PH. I still have much to learn and improve. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! This book looks good. Will stay tune for your professional plating...

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...