Monday, September 24, 2012

F1 Tapas Night




The F1 fever is still in the air with the 5th Singapore Grand Prix on the Marina Bay Street Circuit just concluded couple of hours ago.  Although I am not truly a racing fan, I thought it would be a good idea to have the family joined in the fever, gathered in front of the TV, to watch the world's first night race on Asia's first street circuit.

I still have some sous vide beef short rib and beef cheek in the freezer. Instead of serving them as proper main courses, I decided to turn them into bite-size party food and serve them as tapas for our F1 party.

I cut the seared beef short ribs into slices and served them on top of pieces of bearcurd topped with caramelized onions. The sous vide beef cheek was also cut into small pieces and served with sous vide carrot and mashed potato.

Turkish bread provided the main carbohydrate for the party. I prepared a mixture of cream cheese, coriander, rosemary and walnut for the topping for the bread and topped with baked butternut pumpkin.

The easiest to prepare was the rock melon, rockets and parma ham platter. It's easy and delicious - A must-have for most of our parties.

It was a very entertaining and drama-filled race: Lewis Hamilton's gearbox was leaking fluid for three to four laps before he retired; Mercedes' Michael Schumacher retired after a heavy crash into the back of Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne and many others. In the end, Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel won the Singapore Grand Prix for the second consecutive year.

We enjoyed the night race, firework and the tapas. Now that it has been announced that the Singapore night race will be extended to 2017, we look forward to another exciting five years of night racing at the Marina Bay street circuit and the Tapas Party at 2706.








12 comments:

  1. I love the assortment of delicious and colorful tapas! Seems like a lot of work, no? I am not a racing fan, will easily start snoring when the race is on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking time is minimal as the meat was sous-vided earlier but some work there to assemble the different ingredient together. I enjoyed the process though.

      Delete
  2. Great way to finish off the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beef short ribs and cheeks were not leftovers. As the short ribs and cheeks took me 72 hours and 10 hours to sous vide respectively, I normally prepare more at one go and keep them frozen. The cooked meat can last for months in the freezer. When needed, just thaw and heat up before serving on actual days - Convenient and fast. :)

      Delete
  3. When I first saw your photo I thought it was taken at a restaurant or some fancy party! Totally didn't expect them to be home made. If there is an award for upcycling of leftovers, the winner will surely be you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm flattered.

      But you are not wrong that it was taken at a restaurant - My Restaurant 2706! LOL!

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic spread! I totally love cooking with no restrictions. Love the beef on tofu and the butternut squash on turkish bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not just a great chef, you're a goo food photographer. Or do they really go together? :) I love them all, the variety and the idea itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Introgirl! Thanks.

      But I would like to think that the pictures are result of my camera and lens more than my photography skill! :)

      I am still learning and trying to improve on the art of photography. The same for my cooking and wine journey.

      Delete
  6. wow i feel embarassed, my f1 night was er, leftover lunch in front of the tv. hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shu Han, welcome to my blog!

      Having leftover is nothing to be embarrassed... in fact some food taste better that way.. :)

      BTW, love your blog, photography and your art...

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...