Monday, August 13, 2012

Happy Birthday à moi!




Today is my Birthday and it has been a wonderful day! Yes, I'm getting older and HH jokingly reminded me this morning to read  up more on the ElderShield scheme! But I am not going to let this demoralizes me.

The whole day was about food and wine...

Morning was work as usual in the office but I had a pleasant surprise when my team members and colleagues had a mini birthday celebration for me at the pantry area.

I took my birthday leave in the afternoon and had a good lunch with wife at Absinthe. I will be writing a review on that in my coming post.

After fetching Ashton early from the childcare, I started preparation for our dinner at 2706. It was quite a breeze as I had already cooked the 72-hours beef short rib in the sous vide machine since last Thursday through Sunday.

Wife and kids all requested for this beef short ribs for the dinner (although it was my birthday!) and I could fully understand why. The meat was simply superb - exactly what Ashley had described with her 2 thumbs up. This dish demonstrates the exceptional consistency that can be achieved with sous vide technique. This time, I made some Mirin and Sake reduction to go with the short ribs and they loved it too.

On my request, wife baked me the Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes which I first found on Mel's blog 2 weeks ago. Soft, creamy and sweet. I enjoyed the cake and my birthday!

Approaching 40 and I am getting ready for my best years ahead. There are still so many things to do and so little time. I will continue to cook, to drink and to love.

Happy Birthday à moi!


72-hours Sous Vide Beef Short Ribs with Mirin Sake Reduction

Even if you do not like beef, this dish will most likely change that forever.


We paired the beef short ribs with E. Guigal Cotes Du Rhone Rouge.
This would be my wine of the week.

My birthday cake from wife - Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes

We ended the night with St Hallett Frivola -
A Moscato style Frizzante that we bought during our last South Australia Trip.
Delicate, sweet and refreshing.

8 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! One year older and I bet you must be feeling great with all things around you! Wishing you be happy and healthy as always! Oh, thanks for the linking me on the Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes. Your wife baked beautifully and I bet you must have enjoyed your birthday with all that delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! Thank you for sharing the Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcake recipe too. The whole family loves it!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to you. They say here life begins at 40 for a man. So cheers to that. Those cupcakes your wife baked looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would choose to believe in that statement.. :) Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday!!!

    What a great feast to celebrate your going-to-40! The wine look exquisite. And the cupcakes look wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful day for you! Wonderful lunch, wonderful dinner, wonderful meat, wine, cupcakes and a wonderful wife ;). Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wonderful comment... Wife will love it. :)

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...