Wednesday, August 15, 2012

E. Guigal Cotes Du Rhone Rogue 2009





Vintage:  2009
Producer:  E. Guigal
Varietal: 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre
Country: France
Region: Rhône Valley
Appellation: Côtes du Rhône
Type: Red Wine

Wife likes the wine from E. Guigal. The quality of their Côtes du Rhône Rouge has been consistent from vintage to vintage and has been one of her favourites for few years now. Although I prefer their higher-end appellation like Hermitage, I must admit that their Côtes du Rhône Rouge is very value-for-money. Unlike most producers in the appellation Guigal ages his Côtes du Rhône Rouge for a full two years before release. This expensive process results in a wine of unusual aromatic complexity, with a substantial and generous palate.

Great with cold meat and cheese.

Extracted fromWine Advocate #197 - Oct 2011:

Score : 89

There are 3.5 million bottles of the 2009 Cotes du Rhone red, which represents an amazing value. A blend of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre, it comes primarily from the Plan de Dieu (Plain of God), which is situated northeast of Chateauneuf du Pape. This tank-aged, deep ruby/purple-colored, concentrated, fleshy, medium to full-bodied, supple offering reveals plenty of pepper, kirsch and black currant fruit intermixed with a notion of flowers. It is meant to be consumed during its first 2-3 years of life although I have tasted 10-year-old bottles that are still holding together. Drink: 2011 - 2014. Robert Parker.







9 comments:

  1. Hi
    Just popping in here to see what you are posting here today. Got to learn some wine experience from you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, you have to start drinking to learn about wine. You need to identify your personal preference. What you read here or any ratings by wine critics should be used just as a guide and not take precedence over your personal preference.

      Just like perfume. You might like a certain scent but not others.

      This is very important if you want to fully enjoy wine. It's after all your own palate and nose.

      For a start, you might want to try softer and easy-drinking wine like Pinot Noir for red and Sauvignon Blanc for white.

      Enjoy the wine journey.

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      I have read your comment with interest and like what you have said here. Thank you. I have a few bottles of red wine at home but mostly I used it for cooking stew.... :-). I have to take notice on my next trip to the wine shop to look for softer kind of wine.

      Delete
  2. I like the comment "you have to start drinking to learn about wine." Worth a million! :-) I'll follow you!

    Ciao
    Alessandra
    http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness!! I love grenache and shiraz in the same bottle, I LOVE red and white Rhone wines and Guigal is one of my favourite producers from the region. In fact the last bottle I drank, was a Guigal white with viognier in it. Forgot what was on the label, but can't forget how magical it tasted, and smelt. No surprise at all, that your wife likes Guigal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise! Glad that you live the E. Guigal label too. I should link you up with my wife... :D

      Oh yes, have you tried their Hermitage? Gorgeous wine!!!

      Delete
  4. I am a fan of wines from the Côtes du Rhône region. Even made my "pilgrimage" to Châteauneuf-du-Pape last year. ;) Hey, you just got me into the mood for a good bottle of red! It's awesome to see a fellow Singaporean blog about wines. Keep the "Sommelier" part of your blog active, please! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ju! Glad that you like the "Sommelier" part of my blog... I have been drinking but not been taking pictures and updating my favourite wine of the week for quite a while... As you can see I have been very busy with the "Chef" part of the blog. :D

      Let me try to balance the both again. :D

      So you are into old world wine? Would love to exchange notes and ideas with you! Food or wine!

      BTW, congratulations on your new Rowenta oven!

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...