Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bistro Petit Salut




I had the honour of having the company of three lovely babes from the office to celebrate my birthday early last week. Jennifer, QJ and GL made a lunch reservation last Friday at Bistro Petit Salut at Holland Village. This is a French bistro under the same management as Au Petit Salut.

There were a few occupied tables when we arrived at about 1pm. I guess this place will be more crowded in the evenings or weekends.

Maybe it was the bright day light, I felt that the ambience of the place was not cozy enough that sunny afternoon. Evening might be better. However,  the 3-course set lunch with coffee/tea is value-for-money. At $28 per person, it offers a selection of 6 choices from each course - Starters, Mains and Desserts.

For starter, Jennifer ordered the baked snails with tomato fondue and garlic butter. The snails were served in standard escargot dish, 6 of them to be precise. The garlic sauce was tasty but I had this feeling the snail meat were from a can.

Both GL and QJ went for the asparagus salad with bacon and poached egg which look like a breakfast set to me.

I had the pork sausage and rillettes which was served with toast and a petit salad. The cold meat serving was generous and I had to distribute the rillettes and shared with my 3 lady partners to allocate some tummy space for my main.

*Pictures taken with iPhone4
Complimentary bread basket and butter

Duo of homemade pork garlic sausage and rillettes with mesclun & walnut dressing

Half dozen baked Burgundy snails with tomato fondue and garlic butter

Steamed U.S. green asparagus with crispy bacon, poached egg and petit salad

Each of us ordered a different dish for our main course. All served in good portion with decent presentation. Taste was not bad too. I liked the pork cheek that I ordered. It must have been cooked for hours to achieve the end result - delicate softness of the cheeks and it really brings out the flavours. Besides the cheek, braising also brought out the sweetness, added a rich flavor and a soft texture to the root vegetables of carrots and radish. I love this dish.

We had our desserts with the thick illy coffee. The ladies had rave review for the Chocolate and pear mousse cake. They liked the layers of different colours and flavours and how they complemented each other. The Choux buns with vanilla ice cream looked dangerously sinful and delicious while my chocolate tart fondant was really rich - a treat for chocolate lovers but too rich for me.

Overall, this was a satisfying  and good-value lunch. Another good lunch destination option if you are around the area but do note that they are closed on Sunday.



Bistro Petit Salut

44 Jln Merah Saga
#01-54
Singapore 278116
Tel: 6474 9788
Fax: 6474 3188

Opening Hours:

Monday- Saturday
Lunch : 1130hrs-1430hrs (Last order)
Dinner : 1830hrs-2230hrs (Last order)
Closed on Sunday



Grilled sea bass with cold vegetables “à la Grecque”, Niçoise vinaigrette

“Minute” of onglet beef with French mustard jus and mashed potatoes

Fettuccini pasta with seafood and tomato fondue

Braised Provencal style pork cheeks in tomato, root vegetables

Chocolate and pear mousse cake, Crème Anglaise

Choux buns with vanilla ice cream, warm chocolate sauce and sliced almonds

Chocolate tart fondant served with mixed berry jam




1 comment:

  1. Hi I found your site by mistake when i was searching yahoo for this acne issue, I must say your site is really helpful I also love the design, its amazing!. I don’t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.
    ton petit sommelier

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...