Saturday, August 18, 2012

Absinthe Restaurant Francais




Wife and I had lunch here on Monday to celebrate my 39th birthday. The restaurant had just moved to the current location at Boat Quay 2 months ago. Finding a car park lot was a real problem at the Boat Quay area and we arrived late because of that.

After a long walk under the hot sun, it felt great to be greeted with a huge smile and we were promptly shown to our table on the 2nd floor shophouse. The place was almost full-house with a mixture of office crowd, tourists and of course people like us who took leave to have a good lunch. I felt like I was in France with the waiters and some of the customers sitting around us conversing in French.

We both like Foie Gras and ordered the Pan-Fried Foie Gras which was served on warm Blinis (pancake) with deep Burgundy Morello Cherries in liquor. To me, you will never go wrong with this traditional french starter.

Wife had the roasted black code served with prawn risotto. The sablefish was perfectly cooked - rich, succulent flavor, and velvety texture. The creamy prawn risotto rice nicely complement the fish and the lime espuma gave the dish the extra class.

I had the braised beef cheek (yes, again...) but was not so impressed. Not bad at all but not impressive. With all due respect to the chef, I really thought my 2706 version of the beef cheek was better. Although tender, certain part of the cheek was too dry and the gravy too salty.

The restaurant combined the dessert that came with the set lunch into a cake, tart and ice cream platter with a candle for my birthday.

Overall, Absinthe gets my thumbs up for the service and the ambience. Food wise, I was disappointed with the beef cheek but the rest of the dishes were pretty up to standard. I will still go back again.


Absinthe Restaurant Francais
72 Boat Quay
Singapore 049860
Tel: (65) 6222 9068
Fax: (65) 6225 6207

Operating Hours:
Lunch : 12pm - 2:30pm (Mon - Fri)
Dinner : 6:30pm - 11:00pm (Mon - Sun)




Foie Gras Poêlé - Fried Foie Gras, Morello Cherries and Blinis

Cabillaud - Roasted Black Cod, Prawn Risotto and Kaffir Lime Leaf Emulsion

Braised Beef Cheek, wild carrot and potato

Happy Birthday to Me!

We had the sweet Semillon Chateau Fayau Cadillac to pair with the Foie Gras

Chateau Potensac Medoc for the Beef Cheek
and Domaine Vacheron Sancerre Saugvinon Blanc for the Cod Fish

5 comments:

  1. this type of perfectness of serving for me is the essence of French cooking!

    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ola, welcome to my space! Yes, I like French cuisine.

      Hats-off to your Polish-English blog! (I assume that's polish!) Impressive.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that Braised Beef looks so delicious and I am sure it is! You are still celebrating your birthday ha.... good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Errr.. actually I was not too impressed with the braised beef... but the other dishes were great.

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so delicious in all the photographs that you posted and this restaurant looks expensive and classy to visit too.

    Sad to hear that the beef cheeks are not as good as you expected.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...