Monday, July 16, 2012

Spicy Sunday - My attempt at Indian Cooking






Wife and I love Indian food. The Nasi Briyani shop at Dunlop street, Tandoor North Indian Restaurant at Holiday Inn Orchard, Rang Mahal group of Indian restaurants and Tiffin Room of Raffles Hotel are some of the places that we visit when we are in need of a spicy fix.

Last Sunday, to fix my craving for spicy food and also part of our plan to expose the children to the varied cuisines of the world, I decided to prepare an Indian meal for the family dinner.

The Tandoori chicken and the Beef Masala turned out great on this humble attempt of mine. I especially like the Beef Masala as I experimented the Sous Vide method to cook the beef. I will post my recipes for both the dishes in my next posts. Stay tuned.

The complexity of flavours (spicy, sweet, salty) and layering of flavours in an Indian dish makes food and wine pairing challenging.

We picked the 95-points (James Halliday) 2008 Ashbrook Semillon from Magaret River for our dinner.  The entirely unwooded Semillon, which encompasses a range of flavours and aromas, made a good duet with the strong-flavoured Beef Masala and Tandoori Chicken.

Āp kā khānā svādiṣṭa ho! (Bon Appetite in Hindi)


Oven baked Tandoori Chicken with green spinach

Sous Vide Beef Masala

"Light straw-green; a wine full of flavour, a fleeting glimpse of fresh-cut grass before ripe citrus and some tropical fruit takes over, with an almost succulent mouthfeel; simply can't be compared to Hunter Valley semillon, and delicious now."  James Halliday

7 comments:

  1. Indian cuisine with French cooking technique - how very creative and innovative. Lovely post and I look forward to reading more. I love Rang Mahal too. My kids run off whenever I dabble with Indian spices and the whole house smells funny - http://extravirginchef.blogspot.sg/search/label/Cuisine-Indian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sky is the limit.

      The application of the sous vide cooking method is limitless and so very fun. I and am so going to experiment more with my SVS. My next attempt will be chinese-style sous vide braised pork belly to go with hot steamed bun.

      Amazing posts you have there. Wow! You made the naan yourself? (Ha.. I bought the pre-packed from supermarket.) Ooooo... must be an interesting experience using the deep urn for the tandoori chicken. Love it.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your Indian style feast looks very professionally cooked! At my first glance, I thought you are a professional chef whipping this feast...

    Thanks for following my blog and happy to follow yours too to see more of your delicious cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following mine too...

      Can tell that you are a Jamie Olive fan?

      Wife will love your cakes and cookies!!!

      Delete
  3. Drooling..... when I see your Sous Vide Beef Masala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... not so sure about Jazz though.

      Sous vide pork belly for our coming National Day gathering at 2706?!

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...