Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Beef Masala - The Sous Vide Version





Masala means spice. It can either be a combination of dried spices, or a paste made from a mixture of spices and other ingredients—often garlic, ginger, onions and chilli paste. It is the heart and soul of any Indian dish.

Very satisfied with the result of the beef cheek using the sous vide method, I decided to slow cook the meat for this Indian dish in my Sous Vide Supreme Machine for last Sunday's Indian-themed dinner.

The experiment was a huge success. I am no expert in Indian cuisine but I definitely can tell which food in my mouth can excite my palate. The beef was so fork tender after 10 hours in the SVS and because the other ingredients used for this Masala dish are very strong in flavour, the meat need not be cooked in the spice mixture for long to be infused with the masala flavour.

I hereby declare that Sous Vide method is not limited to French or Western cooking only. With some creativity, you can recreate any traditional dishes using the Sous Vide technique. Excited now... I am so going to experiment more with my SVS.

Ingredients

800g Beef
3 tsp Garlic Ginger Paste
20g Almond (Boiled and skinned)
2 tbsp thick coconut milk
100g Onion (Chopped)
20g Meat Curry Masala
100g Plain Yogurt
60g Tomato Puree
Salt
Oil



Direction

Preheat the water bath to 82°C.

Cut the beef into cubes (1-2 inches)

Pat the meat dry with kitchen paper and rub the beef and some masala mix and salt. Place them in Sous Vide bags and seal with hard vacuum.

Place the sealed bags in the preheated water bath and cook the beef for 10 hours.


Combine the garlic ginger paste with the almond and coconut milk and blend in food processor to form paste.

In a pan, heat oil and fry the chopped onion until light golden.

Add the paste and fry for 5 minutes.

Add the Masala powder and fry for another 2 minutes.

Add the yogurt, pouring little quantity at a time followed by the tomato puree. Stir for few more minutes.

Add the sous vide beef together with the beef juice.  Bring to boil and lower the flame and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.

Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with Naan bread or basmati rice.




6 comments:

  1. Amazing recipe, it looks like a trip to my local butcher for some of that beef cheek, something I've never bought before. I don't have one of those fancy water bath/vacuum bag thingies, but I'm sure I'll work out a way with my slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Anthony!

      What about some slow-cooked beef cheek in your three legged pot over fire? :)

      Delete
  2. This Beef Masala must be full of flavours! I'm still trying to achieve to cook a good meat masala but seems like I have to bookmark this to try out! Look delicious. This is the first time I am at your blog and as I read on your blog headline "A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine" ~ well, for me is "A day without a cup of coffee is a day without strength"... hee...hee.... Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Mel.. that is very creative! But I agree that nothing beats a steaming cup of freshly brewed coffee to start your day...

      Delete
  3. Thanks a lot for stopping by my blog and leading me here. Lovely recipes you have here. Being an Indian, though a vegetarian, I simply loved your style of cooking here. And one more thing, how about creating a one stop recipe index, as it will be very easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and I love those recipes on your blog too. As for the recipe index, yes I have been thinking about it lately.. let me find some time to get that sorted out. Thanks!

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...