Monday, March 19, 2012

Patara Thai



It was the March school holiday last week, both wife and I took leave on Wednesday to bring the kids to the Chinese Heritage Centre at Chinatown. After an eventful morning, we went to Patara Thai at Tanglin Mall for lunch.

The restaurant was less than half filled during the peak lunch hour. Service was quite alright and expected of a fine dining restaurant. However, the food was at most average and did not live up to my expectation.

We ordered the Patara Premium which was a combination platter consisting of mango salad, soft shell crab, fish and prawn cakes, chicken wings and rice cracker dips. Like I mentioned, the fried stuff was pretty average and to me the fried soft shell crab and chicken wings were not really of Thai origin. The mango salad was slightly dry for my liking.

The fried whole garoupa in lemon grass sauce was fresh and tasty but again I felt that it lacked something that distinguishes an an outstanding dish from average ones. I had had better version (whole pomfret) at Ying Thai Palace at Purvis Street.

The yellow crab curry was interesting and a good match to go with the jasmine white rice. By the way, I seriously felt that the plain rice was too overly priced at $3 for a small bowl.

To me, the dish that stood out that day was the slow braised pork belly. The belly was fork tender and just melt in the mouth. A good combination of coriander, fresh pepper corn, cassia bark (cinnamon) and coconut juice provided the meat a good braising juice and gravy. This is a must-try!

Overall, I find the food on the average level and on the pricey side. With that, I do not think I will come back again unless it is just the wife and I to enjoy the 2-diners 50% discount (Palate dining privilege programme).



Patara Thai

163 Tanglin Road, #03-14,
Singapore 247933

Tel: +65 6737 0818


Patara Premium Platter

Pla Gao Thod Sauce Takrai - Fried whole Garoupa in lemon grass sauce

Gang Nuea Poo Bai Cha-plu - Phuket style yellow curry with Atlantic carb tulips

Moo Ob Ma Praw - Slow braised pork belly in coconut juice, coriander, cassia bark and quail eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...